IE's Flash made Windows 8 most vulnerable Windows OS, research says

Himanshu Arora

According to a new research from the Denmark-based security company Secunia, out of all the Windows operating systems currently supported by Microsoft, Windows 8 is the most vulnerable. Dubbed Secunia Vulnerability Review 2014, the research says that while Windows 7 and Windows XP vulnerabilities doubled in 2013, it was Windows 8 which reported the highest number of flaws.

So, despite of being touted as more secure than its predecessors, why is Windows 8 at the top of the vulnerability chart? Well, the reason is Flash -- at least this is what the security firm says in its report. Out of 156 flaws reported in Windows 8, 55 were due to the integration of Adobe System’s Flash Player into IE.

Although Adobe's Flash is widely known for being one of the most prolific sources of security vulnerabilities in Windows this is the first time it's directly affecting the image of Windows 8. Will it have any effect on Windows 8 sales? Probably not. While Microsoft's latest operating system isn't selling as fast as its predecessor, the software giant recently announced that it sold 200 million copies of Windows 8.

Secunia's annual report on software vulnerabilities takes a look at 50 of the most commonly used programs and operating systems. This year's report also says that the time gap between when a flaw is reported and when a fix is delivered is narrowing; 86 percent of the vulnerabilities found in the top 50 software products had a fix available on the day of disclosure.

Permalink to story.

Flash, the scourge of the Internet. I swear, the faster we get rid of that security hole ridden bloated piece of crap and move to HTML5 the better we'll all be on the Internet.

I can't even stand watching a Flash video, it's all choppy whereas HTML5 video is fluid. Yeah, we need to get rid of Flash and quickly. Even Sliverlight video is better than Flash video.

I've never noticed a choppiness in flash videos that wasn't directly related to the quality of the video or the connection to the internet. In other words, your blanket accusation that 'all flash videos are choppy' is, in my opinion, not true and apparently exists only in your world. A more honest and accurate description of your gripe is probably that YouTube is throttling their download speeds which causes the appearance of choppy videos. Using a good software program to download the videos in advance of viewing them solves this issue for me.

There are security vunerabilities in practically all software. Should we ditch our operating systems as well? Microsoft releases security patches every month because of this known fact. So what do I do with my current Windows 7 operating system? I know, I'll format C: and disconnect my ethernet. Then I will be completely safe. :) Thank You trparky for your inspiration.

@Kirbaruk,
Windows 8 sucks, I knew it!!!

Finally, we can scratch 'Windows 8 security is so-so-so-so-so-so much better than Windows 7 security' off the list of Windows 8 fanbois deranged benefits. Thank you TechSpot for this story.

And I publicly forbid all you tools who upgraded to Windows 8 from upgrading to Windows 9. No reason, to end your slobbering love affair with something you love so much....so soon. Enjoy!!!!! :)

Last edited:
HTML5 has yet to impress me. It's more convient, yes, because it doesn't require any add-in, but IMO it's not as smooth as flash when used on a capable computer. Not to mention it's not always treated the same from browser to browser.

I've never noticed a choppiness in flash videos that wasn't directly related to the quality of the video or the connection to the internet. In other words, your blanket accusation that 'all flash videos are choppy' is, in my opinion, not true and apparently exists only in your world. A more honest and accurate description of your gripe is probably that YouTube is throttling their download speeds which causes the appearance of choppy videos. Using a good software program to download the videos in advance of viewing them solves this issue for me.

There are security vunerabilities in practically all software. Should we ditch our operating systems as well? Microsoft releases security patches every month because of this known fact. So what do I do with my current Windows 7 operating system? I know, I'll format C: and disconnect my ethernet. Then I will be completely safe. :) Thank You trparky for your inspiration.

@Kirbaruk,

Finally, we can scratch 'Windows 8 security is so-so-so-so-so-so much better than Windows 7 security' off the list of Windows 8 fanbois deranged benefits. Thank you TechSpot for this story.

And I publicly forbid all you tools who upgraded to Windows 8 from upgrading to Windows 9. No reason, to end your slobbering love affair with something you love so much....so soon. Enjoy!!!!! :)

'Windows 8 security is better! As long as you are not using IE

@Kirbaruk,

'Windows 8 security is better! As long as you are not using IE

Too bad Windows 8 itself sucks. Sorry, I am pretty sure I have upgraded to my last "Windows" operating system. Unless Windows 9 convinces me that it is something more than just a gateway to apps and services. Anyway, I am not sure "who" Windows 8 security is better for exactly. Security and freedom still are inherently inversely proportional to each other, arent they? More security equates to less freedom and less power. I had to restore Windows 8 to its factory default one time for a relative who bought a laptop. On Windows 7 I could have tinkered and saved the personal data. On Windows 8 I couldn't even boot into the BIOS. So, *POOF*, all their personal data was gone after the restore to default. Yeah better security. More security, less power and freedom.

Windows 8 just ain't happenin on this computer. Sorry!

Why there is no research to compare Windows security to other operating systems, like Mac OS X, Linux? Rather strange to see Windows competing with itself, I mean - 13-years old obsolete version is being compared to the latest version (and wins, by the way). Where is the free market - why no alternatives to Windows are being evaluated, as if they don't exist?

There is research but you have to search it out yourself. the purveyors of commercial market research software are not going to pass it out to you. they'd rather distract you with the NSA scandal -- which is completely trivial compared to the exfiltration of private personal information effected by commercial software -- and the hacking that is a derivitave thereof

WOW im very impress that you can express your self this way about windows. if you make any comment on any microsoft article you get Bann or warning by moderate. in here is way better I can express myself about how I feel , but of course in the respectful way.

WOW im very impress that you can express your self this way about windows. if you make any comment on any microsoft article you get Bann or warning by moderate. in here is way better I can express myself about how I feel , but of course in the respectful way.

This is a forum in the end, so "express" yourself as you want as long as it is to contribute to the thread and not to get trolling answers. I don't know maybe I'm just speculating a bit in here but I do like "expressing" myself :p express express and some more express :p

If windows 8 has a low market share, ie11 has few users compared to other browsers, and ie in general has diminishing user base, how come windows 8 is the most vulnerable OS?
also, is windows 8.1's (being an update to windows 8) ie11 also affected?
I agree with the guest above:
Why there is no research to compare Windows security to other operating systems, like Mac OS X, Linux? Rather strange to see Windows competing with itself, I mean - 13-years old obsolete version is being compared to the latest version (and wins, by the way). Where is the free market - why no alternatives to Windows are being evaluated, as if they don't exist?

This is a forum in the end, so "express" yourself as you want as long as it is to contribute to the thread and not to get trolling answers. I don't know maybe I'm just speculating a bit in here but I do like "expressing" myself :p express express and some more express :p

if you say anything that you don't like microsoft windows 8 and you say windows 8 is junk NEOWIN will banned you. .. I love to feel free to express myself without trashing me

I like XP as much, and in some ways more than Windows 7. Windows 7 "Aero" GUI is far superior to XP, but the OS itself not quite as easy to negotiate, (IMO or in my experience).

Current Linux versions are perhaps an alternative, insofar as they have native SATA drivers. But, Adobe offers no versions, of any of its software, that will run on Linux. Photoshop is the single most pirated piece of software in the world, so it follows that it is also likely the most popular.

The Linux open source offering "GIMP", compares to Photoshop, in the same way that tic-tac-toe, compares to 3D chess.

All of Adobe's offerings are available for Apple. But since it's illegal to install an Apple Os on a native Windows machine, (AKA "Hackintosh"), it's not an alternative to Windows either. If you go for an Apple OS, "if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound", so to speak, since you have to buy the hardware.

Now, please explain what alternatives to Windows there are left?

IMO, there are none.
if you say anything that you don't like microsoft windows 8 and you say windows 8 is junk NEOWIN will banned you. .. I love to feel free to express myself without trashing me
The moderators here at Techspot are generously willing to put in the time and effort, and their talent, to resolve disputes, either by pulling posts, or closing threads, without resorting to harsher measures. That isn't true in many other forums.

Quick question though, "is English your native tongue"? If so, you need to be pulled in and questioned by the "grammar police".

In any event, your syntax and grammar are quite awkward, and possibly could have lead to misunderstanding, or censure, at your former haunts. Just Sayin'.

While you're not guilty of it, posting in the style of text messages, (clever, shortened spellings, and the like), can sometimes lead to issues here.

Also bear in mind, "Windows 8 sucks", is trolling.

"Windows 8 sucks because it doesn't have the start menu, the GUI is ugly, and I have no intention of buying a touch screen monitor", is not.

Last edited:
The internet would be better if flash died a natural death
I like the idea of assassination, it's much faster who knows how much life Flash has in it naturally.

These comments assume whatever replaces "Flash", will necessarily be more secure.

Since here at Techspot, a lot of members seem to cheer loudly for the "next great hack", will you two cheer when the next, "un-hackable", imaging codec is broken?

After, you're expecting there should be no risk(s) to your computers, when watching online video.

The problem with html5 is it just uses too much memory. I have 3 g of memory on this laptop and it still puts firefox into a garbage collection loop or something on some sites. What will html6 require? 8 g.? What about the millions of existing computers that can't be upgraded to that?

Back