Importance of motherboard ?

PanGrns

Trying to buld a new desktop, with 2 SSD + 1HD, for graphic design and video editing I end up that I5 11400 has enough power to suport my work, but a saw some big difernce in motherboatd price:

MSI B560M PRO Motherboard mATX = 109€
MSI Z590-A Pro Motherboard ATX = 171€

What is the point to go with an more expensive motherborad?

The more expensive motherboard offers the following extras over the cheaper one:

• Higher memory clock support (5333 vs 5200 MT/s)
  • More DIMM slots (4 vs 2 GB) for more memory and better performance, when all four are used
  • More M.2 slots for SSDs (3 vs 1)
  • More USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (3 vs 2) but has 1 fewer Gen 1 ports
  • More USB 2.0 ports (8 vs 6)

The voltage regulators on the more expensive motherboard are likely to be better than those on the cheaper one, but there is a chance that this is not the case. But for your intended workload, the Z590-A Pro is the obvious choice to got with as it has more M.2 slots and DIMM slots, so you can load it up with NVMe SSDs and RAM.

I wonder if MSI B560M PRO , will be able to support:

Western Digital Purple 4TB
Samsung 970 Evo SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe
Samsung 970 Evo SSD 1000GB M.2 NVMe

Rtx 3070

Not all of that - it only has one M.2 slot. You'll need to get something like MSI's B560M PRO-VDH if you want to use both of those NVMe drives.

I realize that I need two (2) PCI and two (2) m.2.
Are any motherboards around 150$ that will fill this requirments?

Last edited:
M.2 is the name for the slot format - they can be wired up to the rest of the computer by either a SATA or PCI Express (PCIe) interface. NVMe drives use PCIe, so one needs to make sure that the M.2 slots are PCIe, although they very often are.

The MSI B560M PRO-VDH that I mentioned above has 2 such slots, although one uses PCIe 4.0 and the other uses PCIe 3.0. The first one will run in 3.0 mode with your SSDs. The MSRP for this motherboard is $129 - the WiFi enabled version is $149.

The motherboard serves as the central circuit hub that connects all the peripherals and components of a computer. It also regulates the power received by the hard drive, graphics card, CPU and system memory from the power supply.

Any recomendation on memory 2x16 ?
I had search the compatible list and I found only Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3600MHz (CMK32GX4M2D3600C18), in the market.
Is just too much 200€ for C18 ?

Last edited:
Any recomendation on memory 2x16 ?
I had search the compatible list and I found only Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3600MHz (CMK32GX4M2D3600C18), in the market.
Is just too much 200€ for C18 ?

Compatible lists are 100% useless. Sometimes they even list modules that have known incompatibilities = lists harm more than benefit.

Any 2*16GB DDR4 DIMM non-ECC non-REG kit will work as probably than any kit on list. If it's physically compatible, it should work like every kit on list.

For CPU, you'll get Ryzen 5 3600 for same price. Unless you'll use integrated graphics, I see no reason to get i5-11400. Ryzen just runs much cooler.

The plan is, since GPU are crazy expensive and the real work will be inside Indesign / Photoshop / Illustrator / Sublimetext to work 2-3 months with iGPU so I bring some money in, and then I will upgrade to a GPU ablle to run AfterEffects, which I use for personal projects.

Back