importing to outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacky

can anybody please help me import personal folders off a hard drive with xp on it into my xp outlook , as my previous pc was struck by lightning.
thanks

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{C4A1069D-4BFD-4C1C-BE88-717AC9CF8B9D}\Microsoft\Outlook Express is the 'normal' place for outlook express to hold your various outlook express 'folders'. I assume you DO mean outlook express, not the professional XP outlook package?

In that location (which you may need to go into folder properties and make 'system files' visible to see at all), are a number of files with a .dbx file type. These correspond to the 'folders' you see in outlook express itself.

Basically, all you need to do is make sure that in your 'new' copy of outlook that you first create a 'folder' to match each of the names you find in the original set of names. Then just copy the old files on top of the same names in your new location.

If you miss one, although the file - lets say - aunties.dbx exists, you will not see a 'folder' aunties in your new outlook express, and if you then try to create it, you will just create an aunties[2].dbx and so on. Silly, but then so is outlook express.

Plug 'old' drive in as a slave. Then use windows to search for 'outlook.pst' on this drive. Once you've found it, you can copy it to your 'My Documents' folder, or somewhere else that's easier to find. Open Outlook, 'File', 'Import and Export', 'Import from another program or file', 'Personal folder file (.pst)'. Then browse to location where file is stored, select everything you would like imported, and Voila!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back