increase power on Dlink DL-524 router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hi all,

I have a router that is only a little whiles away, but it seems that the signal doesn't want to penetrate the walls to my room all that well (low signal).

Aside from buying an amplifier or a range extender or something, what can I do? Router is a Dlink DL-524. Would boosting the transmission power help? Unfortunately, with the dlink firmware it only allows me to choose 25%/50%/75%/100% for power settings, and I have no idea what 100% actually is. Therefore, I guess I could replace the firmware with a third party one, but which one would be the best? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Try placing the router in different parts of the room. On the floor or high on a shelf... I don't think the transmission power can be changed that much to really make any difference. If all else fails try another router

Ok,
describe your house or the dwelling you have this trouble with... Where is the router in relation to the rest of the rooms you're trying to reach. I have a Netgear WGR614 that works just fine throughout my house, and even into the backyard... What protection scheme are you trying to run?

Ok... I strongly suggest that you try another wireless router. See if you can borrow one for testing. You should have no trouble with the house configuration you have

Yeah, which leads me to believe that there is something in the walls or near the floor that isn't very good for the signal ;) Actually, it seems that when I raise (ie, hold, because there is no table there to elevate the router off the ground) the router, the signal improves quite a bit. Would boosting the transmission power help in this case? What good firmware supports my router? I'm not sure if DD-wrt does.

i'd agree. Either try and run a longer ethernet cable so you can move your dlink to the room ajacent to where it is now (so its closer to your PC) or get a better antenna and replace it. I had that router, and once you hit 3 walls you loose 2 bars of wifi signal according to my laptop.. and thats with line of sight distance being shorter for me.

edit: The higher the point of transmission the better. With radio you're always trying to aim for the best line-of-sight distance as you can. with teh router on the table/floor, the signal has to go through all these objects before it reaches your pc; when its high up, there's less of those objects to go through. Think of the aerial for your TV, why do you think its on the roof?

If you don't have a table, get some hooks or screws - i do remember something about mounting holes on the unit's backside.

with firmware upgrades (esp. 3rd party ones) i'd be carefull and read up on them, although i've never used one so yeh...

3rd party firmware upgrades usually aren't dangerous so long as you flash it properly and the firmware supports the router. I just don't know which firmware supports this particular model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back