Independent P.S. for fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

Ok I saw this posted somewhere before but cannot find it now. I want to hook up an extra power supply just for fans, in other words, thats all the P.S. will be powering is fans. My PC gets very hot, and I have lots of extra fans and extra powersupplies, so I want to hook up my own independent cooling system for it. Their was a guide for it somehwere.. does anyone know where I can find it?

It doesn't really take a genius to add an extra power supply to your case. Even if you can or cannot mount it, it can still fit inside your case in most cases.

Also, have you tried to see if your power supply can support those extra fans, are the fans really slow, did you check their RPM?

Alltogether, don't waste money on another power supply that will create more heat than necessary. Just get a really good one and replace it with your current one.

Like I said before I have alot of extra powersupplies(most are 250w). At the moment I dont have the money to purchase a new P.S., I'm using a cheap 300w which I am amazed keeps my pc going. Most of my fans are high-rpm fans, right now I only have one extra case fan hooked up because with anymore I have random restarts...

And of course it doesnt take a genius to put another p.s. in a case, but you have to have some way to initialize it. Ever notice why your fans dont spin when you dont push the power button on your PC?? its because the P.S. has to turn on, their are a couple wires that have to be shorted or something, but I cannot find the guide that I saw before explaining it...

Could someone help me here?

no all u gotta do is mount ur extra power supply to ur computer.
i would use some metal strong ties to secure the actually ps and then drill a hole into the case to put the wires through, i would then cover the exposed wires. i also have an extra power supply and am planning the same thing when i need it.

dont worry about electrocution as long as the large hole u drill is not sharp (sand it down) and ur ps is secure there should be no problems.

edit
i c u want to have the fans turn on through the motherboard, those fans should still be attached to the power supply that powers your motherboard, the extra power supply should be connected to only case fans that do not require the motherboard startup.

If you want to do that, and your case is big enough, I suggest getting an older AT PSU with a rocker or push switch as opposed to a soft-switch. This way you can toggle it on/off and not have to worry about "one-touch" or "4-second power down" for the fans. All you would have to do is mount the power supply anywhere inside the case then begin hooking up your fans. You could leave the switch loose outside the case or easily mount it on the side... or if you're like me and are REALLY cheap, just jam it through the front of a floppy bay.

BUT.. if you did that, it would probably be more econonimical to just get yourself an AC --> DC power adapter that supplied 12V, and have it leading inside your cpucase.

What Fools!

Ok Mate apparantly those that have responded to you so far should not even be in a Tech Forum. None of them seemed to have a clue about what you asked judging from their ignorant responses. Sorry it's not a flame if it points out blatant facts.

I'll help you......Here is what you do:

* get some 18 Gauge solid core wire (Radio Shack or steal it from other scrap you might have) and cut yourself a little 2 inch piece and strips off both ends. we'll call it a jumper.

* Locate the green lead on your ATX power connector. ( The large mobo plug )

* insert one end of your jumper into the pin connector that corresponds to the green lead. Insert the other end of the jumper to any pin connector that has a black lead.

Now you can plug your PSU to an electrical source and power up any system components you wish. I will be Motherboard independant.

Easy.... hope this helps

Just do it and dont worry about what others think you cant sell second hand PSUs as Joe Average wants a Ten Year Warranty with it puke:

Well in my stash of PSUs there are 2 Commodore 64 PSUs about 4x3x3 inch sealed plastic unit with a 4 pin plug on the output side with 12+5volts. Not having it mounted in the box would be better heat wise. :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back