Installation of a graphics card leads to no signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq Presario S6200CL Desktop PC. It has an integrated graphics card.

I bought a Sapphire RADEON 9600 Atlantis 256MB, an AGP card. I did make sure that my computer can handle this kind of card.

I was told by tech support that when I put in an AGP card, the computer would automatically turn off the PCI card and recognize the new one. That's not happening, unfortunately. After turning on the computer, there is no signal going to the monitor.

There are no beeps or anything else indicating an error. The computer is running... the monitor is blank.

I don't see anything inside the computer that looks like a switch to disconnect the integrated card.

I have thought of disabling the old card's drivers from Device Manager, or changing the options in BIOS from PCI to AGP, but if do this and the monitor goes blank, I'll never get my computer back.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to TechSpot

LarissaB8 said:
I have thought of changing the options in BIOS from PCI to AGP, but if do this and the monitor goes blank, I'll never get my computer back.
If it doesn't work, you'll get it back (to default settings) if you clear the BIOS settings, ie. take out the battery for a couple of seconds.

i also had a very similar prob...i just built this great machine....but it doesnt work its got integrated graphics and when i turn it on the monitor stays black....the hard disks are spinning and so are all the fans but the monitor gets no signal
any suggestions would be very helpful because i still havent found a solution and ive been trying for about 3 days non stop now

I'm running a VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP Integrated Graphics card. I want to install an nVidia GeForce2 MX 64MB or 32MB. I think even a 32MB AGP Graphics card would give better performance than a 64MB Integrated. It would take no ram and less strain on the CPU. I put it in and turn on the computer with the monitor plugged into either it or the old one and no signal. I have tried changing the setting to AGP and it still did not work. Please help someone!

Motherboard: Chaintech Summit Series 7VIF4
VIA KM400+VT8235
Socket A
192MB DDR RAM(shared mem)
64MB VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP Integrated(shared mem)
WIN XP SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHZ (running and 2.13 GHZ)

I bought the computer from a local computer store. It was a custom built one, not to my specifications, just one the store built and sold. I've just recently learned how to OC the CPU, without any harm. I've been trying to use this graphics card for a long time so nothing I've done to it has changed anything. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back