Installed HD5770, no output

screensaver969

Opened a new 5770 card and installed in an HP m7160n, also installed a 750W PSU to supply the extra power. Drivers were installed and primary onboard video bios option was set to PCI (there is no option for PCI-e) from onboard . There is also an option for " PCI express Graphics port setup" to X16 or X1 (this has been set to X16). I have tried plugging into both DVI outputs, with and without the vga adapter to different monitors, as well as both HDMI (although the HDMI cables dont fit in completley in because they hit part of the case, this shouldnt affect the DVI output regardless?) the built-in vga output works ONLY when the 5770's power is unpluged durring powerup, then plugged in after which was how I installed the drivers. Strange thing is, the driver installation detected the card and installed the correct software but windows device manager doesnt detect the 5770 (also tried disabling the onboard graphics in device manager, no luck). Also changing the primary video adapter in the bios seems to make no difference.
Card fires up, fan spins.
I am running XP MCE.
One monitor is HP VS15 and the other is lg 20ls7d, and both work with the vga output from the onboard graphics. The HP has updated drivers installed and the LG doesnt.

MOBO specs. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...422&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=470506&lang=en

first of all did u install the drivers before or after u installed the video card? The drivers need to be installed after the card is installed. you need to install the drivers for the card from ati

Re:

Yes, I found out, it did not detect the hardware thus aborting instalation when it wasnt inserted. Installed OK with the card inside. It was the most up-to-date I could find on the ATI website

So my thoughts thus far:
-a bios update might help, but none of the ones from this website below address the issue
---- http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&qt=p5lp-le+motherboard&la=en ----

-The system must be detecting the card, becaue when powered on with the card and 6pin powercord plugged in I get no output from the onboard VGA out. (Just assuming because I cant confirm without seeing the screen)

-Should the card be able to output through the dvi/vga adapter when first plugged in?

-I am using a DVI-HDMI cable to avoid having to use the HDMI ports because they are semi blocked, could this be a source of compatibility error?

So my thoughts thus far:
-a bios update might help, but none of the ones from this website below address the issue
---- http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&qt=p5lp-le+motherboard&la=en ----
Don't update the BIOS. Is likely something else

-The system must be detecting the card, becaue when powered on with the card and 6pin powercord plugged in I get no output from the onboard VGA out.
I agree :approve: Windows can DETECT Plug and Play hardware without drivers. And is proof as you say onboard VGA doesn't work when you boot with the card powered on

-Should the card be able to output through the dvi/vga adapter when first plugged in?
I would think so. I'd try with the cable DVI <--> DVI and if no result you then also try DVI <--> DVI/VGA adapter <--> to the monitor. If the right drivers aren't installed i would expect Windows to use the default generic drivers for VGA (which gives you a large/distorted display but you can see it to reinstall the drivers from CD)

I am using a DVI-HDMI cable to avoid having to use the HDMI ports because they are semi blocked, could this be a source of compatibility error?
I think using DVI-HDMI to start may be problematic as I don't know this work unless the right drivers are installed correctly. I'd suggest try the above cabling suggestion to start. not DVI-HDMI

Ok, so I dont have a monitor with a dvi port, both have a vga, and one has an hdmi. I was able to 'trim' my HDMI-HDMI cable to fit into the card and plug it into the monitor. The monitor shows input on the HDMI but is displaying a 'No Signal' message; my take on this is that the 5770 is outputing a default signal which my monitors cant handle, the monitors' max is 720p. How should I proceed, and are there any other suggestions?

And thanks for the help!
-Dan

Maybe the owner of this also current thread might also be able to help? (they have a 5770 as well)

Also, just fyi.. at least for my case (I installed an HD 5450 on my Dell Optiplex 360 desktop)... As i recall, I also had problems connecting direct to DVI or HDMI before installing drivers. If i recall right, i had to first connect the to my monitor's VGA port (using a DVI/VGA adapter) to get a display where i could then install the drivers. Rebooted and now i can connect off of DVI or HDMI ports on my 5450.

if you try a DVI/VGA adapter good to get one at local brick and mortar store with good return policy so can bring it back if it doesn't help

/* EDIT */
p.s. I find it amazing that such popular products can be such a mystery and pain to install, isn''t it???:rolleyes:

So the 5700 actually came with a DVI - VGA adapter but didnt help. I bought a slimmer HDMI cable which fit in the port on the card. I found a bios update which allowed me to select PCI-E for default graphics, no luck. Any newer bios updates require vista but I am running XP. Saphire support told suggested I update the bios and said that the compatibility error may be because my slot is PCI 1.0 and the 5700 is 2.0, but I assumed that was just a marketing ploy?
Kinda stuck and frustrated, about to buy a new monitor with a dvi port can I get a suggestion good for this card? I want 19-22 inches. Price range 200$. Starcraft and Autocad mostly so I want widescreen and a minimum of 1900*1080 <--- estimate.

You can get some very good 24" in the 200$ range. especially doing CAD work, these are very good and have HDMI. if you are groaning seeing the ACER in there, they are making top notch monitor these days.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009167
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001439
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009167

I don't know what that guy was trying to pull. PCIE-2 is backwards compatible with PCIE-1...or forward compatible with PCIE 2

Back