Installing a SATA drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read everything about SATA drives. I know Windows doesn't recognize it because its SATA and needs drivers but I do not have a floppy drive. Is there any way to make this work without a floppy?

Thank you so much,
Gabriel

I could be wrong here, but...... I think you are wrong ;)

I just put together my new computer with a SATA hard drive. No drivers were needed, recognized as is.....

Wait and see what others say I guess.

I already have a different SATA drive in there and remember these same problems with that one as well but just don't remember how I fixed it. I went into the first SATA drive and in Windows I formatted the new disk and I can use it fine as a 2nd disk but I want to clear this one and use the new one as its bigger and newer. And if the new one works or not, I cannot see either drive when I go to install WinXP.

If the SATA controller is native (not an add-in chip) you won't need drivers unless you're running a RAID system. If it's on a PCI SATA card or if an add-in chip is used (most of the time from Promise or Silicone Image) you'll need drivers.

There's a way to slipstream the drivers onto a XP install CD so that it detects the drive but I do not know how to do so. I suggest you google that up.

not running any RAID anything, just two seperate hard drives and my SATA plugs are on my motherboard. Its Asus A7V600.

I can do this program on THIS hard drive and it will work for the motherboard then so any ATAs I plug in the future will pull up fine correct?

When I run that driver on the old hard drive while in windows I get an error message.

"RegDBGetKeyValueEx. Failed"
Click ok.

"Call to RegDBGetKeyValueEx. Failed"
Click ok

The wizard was interruped before the platform could be completely installed.

Do I need to run this somewhere else? The files are on my desktop.
Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back