Installing AVAST over AVG Free

vomacka

Is it possible to install AVAST and leave AVG installed, but not running/activated?

In other words...

1) Deactivate AVG Free (Shut off AVG In Services). But don't uninstall the program. I just want the program to not run in the background.

2) Install Avast. Hopefully it will not detect AVG and install as normal(?)

Is this possible with AVAST? Or will AVAST detect AVG (In the registry) and force me to remove AVG?

Scott

YES SIR! Just make sure only ONE AV product is set to autorun on boot. There's nothing wrong with having extra tools in your toolbox (y)

Ok, so Avast won't have a problem with AVG as long as AVG is not running on boot.

So, now I shut off AVG in Services. However, when I re-boot the system, the AVG service is re-activated and AVG is re-started. This might be a problem after I install AVAST and then have to re-boot the system. AVG and Avast will start up when the system is re-booted.

Scott

Last edited:
Hi! I'm not 100%, but I don't thin you can stop AVG from starting up after reboot. You might see if this works.

Method 1 Disabling AVG (Windows)
  1. Double-click the AVG icon in your system tray. ...
  2. Click the Options menu in the upper-right corner. ...
  3. Select "Advanced settings." ...
  4. Click the "Temporarily Disable AVG Protection" option. ...
  5. Click the "Temporarily Disable AVG Protection" button. ...
  6. Select how long you want to disable AVG for.

Hi Task Manager has a place to control startups, but I'm not sure if AVG can be disabled there. CCleaner also has a option to control startups. Personally, I would use AVG or Avast, but not have them both installed. There can be conflicts that will affect your performance. I don't see any reason to have them both. There are lots of on line scanners. I like ESET On line scanner.
What are you gaining having both AVG and Avast?
https://www.eset.com/us/home/online...Vwh6GCh1NIw4mEAAYASAAEgLYxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

First, AVG 2017 does not have those options in settings. I have a check-box labeled "Enable AVG Self Protection Module". Whatever that does. Don't know if it is the same as "Temporarily Disable AVG Protection".

Second, There are no AVG entries in my Spybot start-up listing. So I can't do anything there about stopping AVG.

There has to be a way to disable AVG from running on start-up. The only area that I can see doing this is to stop the AVG service from running. But it re-starts on system re-boot.

I have three AVG files in Services:

AVG Anti-Virus (C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Antivirus\AVGSvc.exe).
AVG Service (C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avgsvca.exe).
avgbIDSAgent (C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Antivirus\x64\aswidsagenta.exe). This one is set to Manual and is stopped.

Scott

Hi. Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but why do you think you need both AVG and Avast. My personal choice would be Avast. AVG is know to be a resource hog. I personally run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in real time. No conflicts !
Anti-Virus programs are designed not to be shut off on startup for long periods of time. Makes sense to me that they would startup after rebooting. These are my thoughts!;)

Wait! I think I have something here....

This is what I did...

1) Turn off "Enable AVG Self Protection Module"
2) Set "AVG Anti-Virus" and "AVG Service" to Manual and then stop these services.
3) Re-boot the system.

The result is that the AVGsvc.exe (I assume this is the main AVG executable file that runs the program) does not start up in Task manager now. I still get a AVG icon in the taskbar but it does nothing when I try to click on it. I think I have stopped AVG from running at start-up.

Now, the reason I am doing this is because it takes me 3 hours to download/install AVG Free on my dial-up modem connection. Plus, if the AVAST installer has any problems and won't install the Avast program, I at least still have AVG to fall back on. I won't have to spend 3 hours re-installing it. AVG installs from the net and it is a 3 hour download/install for me at @5Kbs (Yes, 5Kbs. Please don't laugh..) download speed. We have crummy telephone wires here.

So, until I know that AVAST installs and runs properly for me, I would like to keep AVG on my system, but not actively running so as to not cause problems with AVAST.

Hope this all makes sense.

Scott

Hi Thanks for your reply. Yes that makes sense to me.(y) I'm happy you got your issue solved. So are you going to install AVAST now? I really think you will be happier with AVAST.;)

I plan on installing AVAST this weekend. If I have any trouble, I will ask for assistance here.

To be continued...
Scott

Ok, I finished installing AVAST FREE. So far, so good.

The UI is close to what I have in AVG (I know AVAST owns AVG). I spent an hour just configuring it the way I want. (Manual update's, Etc) I only installed the bare scanning components (File Shield, Web Shield, Mail Shield and Rescue Disk). I can install other components later if needed.

I did all this with AVG disabled. I decided to see what would happen when BOTH AV's were activated on system start. Well, guess what. NOTHING. Both AV's ran fine and did not complain.

The one small problem that bothers me is getting the "sounds" to run (Yes, they are all "checked" in settings). I still have to play with that.

Because the program UI's are basically the same, it seems you can have both AVG and AVAST active and running at the same time without error. However, more testing is needed.

Scott

I've been running AVAST for years now because it is proactive protecting your mouse-clicks to avoid infections. With that, a reactive file scanner is redundant IMO and to save laptop battery power from scanning virgin files, I've even gone to avoid the file scanner altogether. If I download an install, I will scan it just to be sure however. That said, you might consider disabling Avast file scans but still run AVG scans.

Yes you can do that vomacka, just go to start, click search, type in components services.
Tick the arrow on component services, click on, click on services, carefully find the avast service.
Click on disable, click on automatic to disabled, click apply and click ok.
Make sure it won't run, then install whatever av you want to, normally windows 10 will do that for you to prevent conflict.

My eset antivirus and malware-bytes gets along fine with each other.
Though it is fun to see which program will trump each other.
If any of them has the most recent definitions, that will be the program to shut it down or quarantine.
If my pc gets infected by accident or some random malware gets in my system packing a trojan horses infection.
Just becarefull because AV or even anti-malware systems will collide and fight over dormitory on your system and cause it to crash.

Last edited:
Yes you can do that vomacka, just go to start, click search, type in components services.
Tick the arrow on component services, click on, click on services, carefully find the avast service.
Click on disable, click on automatic to disabled, click apply and click ok.
Make sure it won't run, then install whatever av you want to, normally windows 10 will do that for you to prevent conflict.

My eset antivirus and malware-bytes gets along fine with each other.
Though it is fun to see which program will trump each other.
If any of them has the most recent definitions, that will be the program to shut it down or quarantine.
If my pc gets infected by accident or some random malware gets in my system packing a trojan horses infection.
Just becarefull because AV or even anti-malware systems will collide and fight over dormitory on your system and cause it to crash.
Using ESET and Malwarebytes together is a lot different then running two Anti-Virus programs in real time. Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside your Anti-Virus . I'm not going to preach about this any more. My opinion is don't run to Anti-Virus programs in real time. Here take ESETs suggestion!;)
https://forum.eset.com/topic/2178-r...gside-with-malwarebytes-anti-malware-premium/

Last edited:
What are you getting at again ? I know think your too smart but its getting highly annoying with you.
I kept my peace about it for long enough but don't help me out at all.
I already know what a antivirus is and what anti-malware systems are.
If you didn't figure it out yet malwarebytes will do more then stop malware problems.
If you also didn't figure it out yet some antivirus programs will stop malware problems.
I've been with eset ever since norton went to garbage right after their main programmer stopped working with it in 2002.
Currently eset suites can stop malware infections you can go by their main site and forums and verify that.

Last edited:
There's only ONE issue of any concern: Does one interfere with the other? If not, then take your choice and smile, otherwise learn what the issue is all about and the consequences of a conflict. :sigh:

SELDOM are our choices binary!

We're all here to help. I try to offer suggestions I have learned from others, and then pass them forward.
Nearly every help forum I have ever been on advice's not to run two Anti-Virus in real time. MBAM gets along very well with Anti-Virus programs and it will run with out conflicts.;) I think the OP has this all figured out, Time to mark this issue solved.

I'll say this another way - - frequently there is NO SINGULARLY CORRECT ANSWER - - only choices.

Back