Installing new Drive on Vaio Desktop

Acemoose

I have one 80 GB HD -- partitioned into a C and D drive. The C drive is FULL. The OS is on the C Drive.

I want to install a new hard drive (80GB) and make this new hard drive the new C Drive. How do I migrate the OS over to the new Hard Drive?

And once I do that, how do I now make all of the old drive the D drive?

You can do the above, but I'm not sure how this is going to help your current problem in regards to disc storage when your replacing it with another one the same size.

If you need more C drive storage, you could backup the data (if any) in D, and then delete the partition, and use the new drive space to entend your current C: partition so C: drive spans the entire usable 80GB storage.

EDIT: I see your point now... I misread the all important "desktop" in the title and assumed you were discussing a laptop. lol.

The easiest solution would be to install the 2nd 80GB drive, transfer everything over to the new one that you want keeping using the software recommended above, then delete the D: partition in the 1st hard drive, and just extend the newly freed space to C: drive covers the entire 1st disks capacity.

Back