Installing Windows on a formatted hard drive - Custom Comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey yall. I need help, well its premature, because I havent even recieved my new customized computer yet. But I bought the computer formatted, because I have a windows xp cd. I was wondering if I will be able to use any windows cd to install windows on this comp. Like will I be able to use a disc that came with my dell? If not what can I do, I dont want to have to buy another windows cd. Your help is greatly appreciated.

You can install any Windows on that computer you want (well I'd say from 98 on and probably 95 if you really wanted to) if you have a Windows install CD. However you will no be able to use any type of 'restore' cd that came from some brand name computer. You will have to have a Windows CD itself, not one branded by a company such as dell that includes all kinds of other stuff specific for that computer.

I think Dell ships their computer with a special OEM copy of Windows XP. I believe you can only install that copy of Windows XP on a Dell computer only.

Originally posted by CyberPower19
so i will be able to use the windows xp cd that came with my dell to install windows onto my new computer

No, you wont be able to do so. You need an original copy of WinXP CD. Sngx has mentioned earlier why.

Originally posted by Sngx1275
However you will no be able to use any type of 'restore' cd that came from some brand name computer. You will have to have a Windows CD itself, not one branded by a company such as dell that includes all kinds of other stuff specific for that computer.

A Dell XP CD may install fine, but you won't be legal.

Many Dell OEM XP installs do not require activation. Just the cd-key from your Dell case.

But you will have a couple of quirky Dell logos here and there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back