Intel discontinues 300-series chipset motherboards

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Intel has announced the discontinuation of its 300 series chipset motherboards, including the H310, H370, Z370, and Z390. Production will end this July, while sales of the mobos, including mobile chipsets such as the QM370, will halt in January 2022.

Intel isn’t slow to pull the curtain down on its products when replacements are waiting in the wings. Last month, the company discontinued its entire 9th-gen Coffee Lake Refresh line, including the still-excellent Core i9-9900K. Its predecessor, the 8th-gen Coffee Lake CPUs, were discontinued in June 2020.

The announcement comes just before the start of CES 2021 next week, where Intel will likely reveal its 500-series motherboards. These feature an LGA1200 socket, so both the 10th-gen Comet Lake-S and upcoming 11th-gen Rocket Lake-S chips are supported.

Image credit: Videocardz

With the 500-series motherboards, Intel will finally be catching up with rival AMD by offering support for the PCIe 4.0 interface. Team blue needs to close the tech gap on its rival; according to benchmarking giant PassMark Software, AMD has just surpassed Intel when it comes to global desktop CPU market share for the first time in fifteen years.

It appears that LGA1200 is set to last for just two generations. The larger, 12th-gen Alder Lake-S chips, which use the 10nm big/small architecture, will use a new CPU socket called LGA1700, forcing users to upgrade their hardware—again.

One bit of good news is that the prices of Coffee Lake Refresh chips are falling. The Core i9-9900K is available on Amazon for $367, while Microcenter has the Intel Core i5-9600K for just $170.

Permalink to story.

I'm still on the Z270 chipset with Core i7 7700s. I can wait until next year before upgrading again, but I do want to cop two GeForce RTX 3080 cards (one for each PC).

I'm on Z390 now with a 9700k. Cant see myself upgrading anytime soon, my previous build was a 3570k and the only reason I upgraded was for NVMe support, as I couldnt get it to run stable on my ivy bridge board with unofficial means. IF it wasnt for that I'd still be rocking that 3570k.

I'm still on a Z370 with a 8700k with my only upgrade path to a 9900k which by the time the 8700k actually starts struggling won't be much better anyway.

Full refresh time when DDR5 hits mainstream I think.

In the meantime, I'm holding my breath for a 4000 series Nvidia GPU.

In the meantime, I'm holding my breath for a 4000 series Nvidia GPU.
Don't hold your breath too long, you may die of oxygen deprivation especially with all of the current GPU shortages which I can only imagine will be worst next time around.

This change of platform non-sense after two releases is why I will not be buying Intel.

This change of platform non-sense after two releases is why I will not be buying Intel.
Well, you won’t be buying AMD either then. Currently these new Intel boards will offer further forward compatibility than AMDs boards as AM4 support ends this year I believe.

Well, you won’t be buying AMD either then. Currently these new Intel boards will offer further forward compatibility than AMDs boards as AM4 support ends this year I believe.
No they won't, after this release it's a brand new socket (LGA1700) it's literally in the article.

My 3570K will be my last Intel CPU for a very long time. Rocket Lake is a joke, they should just wait for Alder Lake to be ready. Trying to backport cores from 10nm to 14nm+++++++++++ is ludicrous and shows how desperate they are to win benchmarks no matter the woeful power usage of their rubbish.

The AM socket has lived long enough and AMD has done a great job continuing support for it. I remember an older rig I had where up upgraded from an Athlon X2 4200+ to a Phenom X3 720BE, I was still in highschool at the time.

With DDR5 coming out this year and other new tech AMD needs to make a socket that they can support for another 10-12 years. AMDs ability to make that socket last as long as they did is an engineering marvel and they never intended it that way when designing it. Imagine what they could do if they made a new socket with a hundred or so unused pins for future features

Last edited:
Considering my i7 920 trades blows with both my i5 9400 and Ryzen 2600X thru 1070Ti level; and gets very playable performance now almots 12 years later; I don't think I'm going to care for another 12 years.

The AM socket has lived long enough and AMD has done a great job continuing support for it. I remember and older rig I had where up upgraded from an Athlon X2 4200+ to a Phenom X3 720BE, I was still on highschool at the time.

With DDR5 coming out this year and other new tech AMD needs to make a socket that they can support for another 10-12 years. AMDs ability to make that socket last as long as they did is an engineering marvel and they never intended it that way when designing it. Imagine what they could do if they made a new socket with a hundred or so unused pins for future features
Yeah, I don’t really care for it tbh. My last CPU lasted 6 years and I wouldn’t want to keep using that motherboard. Neither AMD nor Intel have ever really kept support for long enough to be useful to me. It’s good that the option is there but when I upgrade I seem to want the platform upgrade almost as much as more performance.

I’ve recently bought an X570 board with a 5th gen CPU. And it’s a great board really but it does irk me somewhat that is says “ready for Ryzen 3000 series” on the box. Because it’s last years board! But there is no new board this year so I have no choice. And tbh this X570 board has what I wanted.

Please, let's get the facts right in both the headline and the article.

INTEL DOES NOT MANUFACTURE MOTHERBOARDS. Intel manufactures motherboard CHIPSETS to match their processors. Intel stopped the manufacture of motherboards with its brand name at least 5 years ago. Even then, Foxconn produced Intel-branded motherboards.

How about you say that Intel has discontinued the manufacture of its 300-series chipsets??? Worse yet, according to the chart in the article, Intel will deliver the last orders for 300-series chipsets in 2022. So....

How about you say that Intel has announced when it will discontinue the manufacture of its 300-series chipsets???

Did any editor fact-check this article???

I heard there might be a Zen 3+ CPU coming so before Zen 4 that will use the AM4.

I heard there might be a Zen 3+ CPU coming so before Zen 4 that will use the AM4.
One generation? It makes no financial sense whatsoever to upgrade an expensive CPU after just one year and it’s not like my 5800X is going to be slowing down by then.

One generation? It makes no financial sense whatsoever to upgrade an expensive CPU after just one year and it’s not like my 5800X is going to be slowing down by then.
Well yea, if you own the most recent AMD CPU then I would pass on a Zen 3+ but if you own a 2000/3000 series CPU I would consider the upgrade if I have a compatible MB.

Back