Intel's locked Alder Lake CPUs could start at just $119

nanoguy

Staff member
Something to look forward to: With Alder Lake, Intel is pushing back against AMD’s dominance with the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. The first batch of 12th generation chips from Team Blue are already priced aggressively, but a new value king may be hidden among upcoming CPUs that will debut in early 2022.

Intel’s unlocked Alder Lake CPUs have received generally positive reviews, with experts praising the performance gains over Rocket Lake as well as AMD’s Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, not to mention the aggressive pricing. Naturally, this has prompted AMD to lower prices for its current generation of desktop processors by as much as $150, although the discount varies from one retailer to the next as well as from region to region.

That said, Intel has yet to release its mainstream and budget Alder Lake processors, which are expected to be priced as low as $119. According to leaked listings from Canadian retailer DirectDial that were spotted by Twitter user @momomo_us, the non-K 12th generation Intel CPUs are designed to undercut AMD’s Ryzen 7 5800X, Ryzen 5 5600X, and even the Ryzen 3 5300G, which would be the current value king but can only be found in pre-built PCs.

The $430 Core i7-12700KF already looks like a great alternative to AMD’s Ryzen 7 5800X, but the locked multiplier version could turn out to be an even more attractive offering. Simply put, if you don’t care abut overclocking and are okay with slightly lower clocks (and lower power consumption) than a $450 Core i7-12700K, you’ll soon be able to have something close to its performance level for around $365.

If you’re on a tighter budget, both the Core i5-12400 and the Core i5-12400F will be priced below $250. These two CPUs will only pack six Golden Cove (performance) cores, but according to early benchmarks they can punch above their weight class in certain workloads. From there it’s just a matter of whether or not you want integrated graphics, and if not then you’ll be able to save an additional $30.

The Core i3-12100F is expected to integrate only four Golden Cove cores, but it could also be priced at a much more reasonable $119. Intel is planning to launch these new CPUs in early 2022, so it won’t be long before we learn more about their capabilities.

Permalink to story.

Not sure if this will be effective in gaining the market back, AMD offered countless chips at bargain prices, but ultimately it was a better product that was the only effective weapon when it came to clawing back bits of the market.

Not sure if this will be effective in gaining the market back, AMD offered countless chips at bargain prices, but ultimately it was a better product that was the only effective weapon when it came to clawing back bits of the market.
Um. No.
AMD has nothing lower than the 5600X. Remember all the people holding out for the non X? Intel now has 2-3 CPU's under that $300 mark until at least Zen 4 is out. Intel also dominates the OEM space. So yea, they have a huge advantage.

Do a Google search for what OEM's are most excited about.

Why does Techspot think the 5300G would be a value king? Literally every other 5000 series CPU is overpriced and the pre-builds that have them cost quite a lot, AMD want the 5000 series Ryzen to be premium. The Ryzen 4300G on the other hand absolutely would be good value, pre builds for those come very cheap. In fact sometimes they sell less than a 5000 series APU on its own!

Also I we getting a 12600K review? That’s the Alderlake part I’m most interested in. And I think the part people are most likely to buy.

I just realized HUB just broke the (not) secret code of slapping a clickbait question over your video:

If there's a question on or over the video, the answer is always NO.

The 12600K HUB video's been out for a few days now, not sure what the holdup on TS is. Of course it did extremely well:

Ah man when I started PC building YouTube didn’t exist and all our reviews were on websites, loads of graphs and excess data, it was fantastic.

I don’t really get the whole tech tuber thing, you see the hits on some of these videos and you find sometimes millions of people have watched a 10 minute video about an SSD!? If I’m going to watch something il put something better than that on. Also a lot of the reviews are like 20-30 mins long. That’s so long! I can read a written review in 5 mins!

I don’t need TS to publish a review and TS isn’t even my go to for in depth reviews of this kind of tech. But I am curious as to why we’ve had i7 and i9 reviews but the i5 which is the star of the Alder lake show is missing.

Um. No.
AMD has nothing lower than the 5600X.

Did your forget about this?

https://www.microcenter.com/product...oxed-processor-wraith-stealth-cooler-included

It's five percent slower than the 5600x in various apps, and comes with an integrated graphics nearly twice as fast as UHD 770:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=uhd-graphics-770&num=1

By the time you exclude the DDR5 from your "value-priced" Alder Lake, the discrete gaming performance of that 12600 will be within 10% of that 5600G (and you get 2x integrated GPU performance, thanks to the integrated graphics performance loss gong back to DDR4).

And if you absolutely must have similar peak multi-core CPU performance, the 5700G offers similar performance for the same price as that 6+4 core!

The OEMs are already shipping tons of these:

What more does quad-core Alder Lake bring to the table? What makes you think that this will get anyone to bite after an AMD price cut? And all AMD has top do is release the already widely-available 5300G to retail before this thing launches.

Last edited:
Did your forget about this?

https://www.microcenter.com/product...oxed-processor-wraith-stealth-cooler-included

It's five percent slower than the 5600x in various apps, and comes with an integrated graphics nearly twice as fast as UHD 770:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=uhd-graphics-770&num=1

By the time you exclude the DDR5 from your "value-priced" Alder Lake, the discrete gaming performance of that 12600 will be within 10% of that 5600G (and you get 2x integrated GPU performance, thanks to the integrated graphics performance loss gong back to DDR4)
You started with Microcenter?! Oh my...

AMD has nothing under 5600X. This isn't news.

Prebuilts need to meet price targets. DDR5, like pcie 4 and gen 4 nvme aren't necessary right out of the gate. No one is dying for powerful apus.

If they were, AMD would have consistent stock o competitive apus year after year. They bought ATi years ago to do it and today, the current apus are overpriced with half the cache of desktop parts. Previous apus and mobile parts were a mix of Vega and rDNA mixed with Zen 2 and Zen 3 it's a bit of a mess.

Intel dominates OEM's. That's where the money is. Not from DIY.

Last edited:
"A new value king may be on the way"

They already had their value kings, 10400f and 11400f (HUB/TS gave the last one a 90/100 mark), but it didn't help. Because it doesnt work this way. People look at upper class and make their decision to choose the cpu brand that is leading. Remember the top selling cpus on Amazon, for example.

Performance-wise it will also greatly depend on L2/L3-cache size. Like Zen3 5300g has 4 times less L3 cache than 5600x, it isnt a beast in gaming. The HUB/TS review didn't cover comparison to 3300x which looked pretty solid thanks to 16MB L3-cache either while being only a Zen2-part.

The elder AL's have worse memory latency than CL/RL, even using DDR4 and even having much bigger caches. So, even tthough smaller AL's may look promising in pure computational workloads (CPUz, Cinebench), but it doesnt automatically extend to many other common tasks.

Power consumption and sTIM of lesser AL's are also factors to consider should Intel leave their previous cooling solution or surprise us with thermal paste under the IHS again.

We may also lose PCIe 5 and/or DDR5 support in upcoming B and H chipsets. Which may cool down some minds considerably. Imagine an 12100 without these marketing banners (incl. E-cores) and with only a quarter of caches.

All in all they made a big step up from where they where with RL. A friend of mine wants to upgrade his 9700k to 12900k and DDR5, which is crazy considering the price and that it will require new case and liquid cooling. But.. yeah, this is how marketing things work.

AMD has nothing lower than the 5600X. Remember all the people holding out for the non X? Intel now has 2-3 CPU's under that $300 mark until at least Zen 4 is out.
Wrong. AMD will have Zen3D in 3 months and Zen3 will drop in prices, so they will cover at least down to $200, maybe even launch an non X 5600.

"A new value king may be on the way"

They already had their value kings, 10400f and 11400f (HUB/TS gave the last one a 90/100 mark), but it didn't help. Because it doesnt work this way. People look at upper class and make their decision to choose the cpu brand that is leading. Remember the top selling cpus on Amazon, for example.

Performance-wise it will also greatly depend on L2/L3-cache size. Like Zen3 5300g has 4 times less L3 cache than 5600x, it isnt a beast in gaming. The HUB/TS review didn't cover comparison to 3300x which looked pretty solid thanks to 16MB L3-cache either while being only a Zen2-part.

The elder AL's have worse memory latency than CL/RL, even using DDR4 and even having much bigger caches. So, even tthough smaller AL's may look promising in pure computational workloads (CPUz, Cinebench), but it doesnt automatically extend to many other common tasks.

Power consumption and sTIM of lesser AL's are also factors to consider should Intel leave their previous cooling solution or surprise us with thermal paste under the IHS again.

We may also lose PCIe 5 and/or DDR5 support in upcoming B and H chipsets. Which may cool down some minds considerably. Imagine an 12100 without these marketing banners (incl. E-cores) and with only a quarter of caches.

All in all they made a big step up from where they where with RL. A friend of mine wants to upgrade his 9700k to 12900k and DDR5, which is crazy considering the price and that it will require new case and liquid cooling. But.. yeah, this is how marketing things work.
When you can get passed the temps and power consumption of the 12900K, and reviews, you'll see you're getting more perf for less $ on almost every SKU. AMD doesn't drop prices because they aren't afraid.

Most consumers buy OEM and they have to hit price targets so ddr5 isn't going to jack prices $100+. You'll more likely get DDR4 which 90% of buyers will be more than happy with considering the perf differences we've seen. New DDR is never a game changer out of the gate anyway.

As for your friend, let him buy what he wants. Many more will follow. Go watch derbaurers review. He knows more than all of us and his 12900K review was very favourable.

$279 for a core i5 locked is terrible value, the 11400 could be found for $189. That's what made it a good deal.

The i3 at $120 would be very interesting though. Hopefully they let golden cove cores onto the pentiums as well, dual core pentiums work great for non gaming builds and can play MOST newer games, but every so often I wish they had a 3rd core to differentiate themselves more against celerons.

Back