Intel's SSD 545s is the first to market with 64-layer TLC 3D NAND technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel has become the first hardware maker out of the gate with a consumer-level solid state drive based on 64-layer TLC 3D NAND. In layman’s terms, the technology allows for more storage space to be squeezed into fewer chips.

The Intel SSD 545s, initially offered in a 512GB capacity, boasts maximum sequential read and write speeds of up to 550MB/sec and 500MB/sec, respectively, with 4KB random read speeds of up to 75,000 IOPS and 4K random write speeds of up to 90,000 IOPS.

The SSD 545s is packaged in a standard 2.5-inch, SATA-style chassis although we’re told that an M.2 NVMe version is set to arrive later this year. It is one of the first SSDs to use the SM2259 controller from Silicon Motion, features AES 256-bit encryption and comes with a five-year warranty alongside a life expectancy of 1.6 million hours.

AnandTech got its hands on an early production unit and found the 545s to be a much better all-around performer compared to Intel’s own 540s. The publication notes that in some tests, the 545s appears to be the first serious challenger to Samsung’s 850 EVO in terms of performance and power efficiency.

Intel’s latest is available as of writing over on Newegg for $179.99. With any luck, that price point will come down a bit in the coming weeks as availability of the drive broadens.

Images courtesy Newegg

Permalink to story.

If this is meant to be a "squeeze more into less" technology, why then proceed to sell bog standard 512GB drives? Is the cost/GB ratio better, or is there something else I'm missing?

If this is meant to be a "squeeze more into less" technology, why then proceed to sell bog standard 512GB drives? Is the cost/GB ratio better, or is there something else I'm missing?

I thought the same thing. Self encryption is a feature and I suppose the boost to drive life is good but overall pretty standard fare. M.2 is the way to go.

Still 550mb/s and 500mb/s? M.2 nvme drives all the way to the future.
I believe that the main limitation for nvme m2 drives is that most systems do not have a slot for that. Most systems do have Sata though. Wtf is it called m2 nvme anyway. Keep it simple or fail. I wish they would stop making things not layman friendly.

The more that enter this market, the better off we'll be as competition continues to heat up.

"With any luck, that price point will come down a bit in the coming weeks as availability of the drive broadens".
With a bit more luck that price will plummet even further when other manufacturers release their offerings. Mind you, that's an Intel product and Intel isn't in the business of competing with their competitors, it seems to be beneath them, they are Intel after all, so when they discover that it ain't selling so well anymore, they'll simply drop it from their catalogue and replace it with another overpriced product.

Back