Interesting problem with Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a user on Windows XP SP1..in a Windows 2003 server env. This user is unable to search anything on his home directory which is mapped to his H: drive. I have had the user search with and w/o indexing. We have verified that the files are there and can be opened from the server. I have checked the users permissions. We are searching files and folders including hidden files. When we perform the search 0 results come back. If the user performs this search on any other drive local or network..he is able to pull results. Has anyone seen this before and is there a fix?

cbairick said:
I have a user on Windows XP SP1..in a Windows 2003 server env. This user is unable to search anything on his home directory which is mapped to his H: drive. I have had the user search with and w/o indexing. We have verified that the files are there and can be opened from the server. I have checked the users permissions. We are searching files and folders including hidden files. When we perform the search 0 results come back. If the user performs this search on any other drive local or network..he is able to pull results. Has anyone seen this before and is there a fix?
Of course, this is a question of "How do I control this" as the real data is on
the local drive and searching the network H:\ is a waste of bandwidth.
I would first ensure that the mapping was created using the ID/Password of
the client machine login, and not the typicall default Guest account.
The permissions are different, and I think this is what is at issue here.
Disconnect the H:\ and reconnect per the above

Of course, you are mistaken. The real data we were searching was actually on the server. We have no default Guest accounts. And the users mapping is done by logon script, which was running appropriately. And we have checked to confirm that there is not a permissions issue.

If there is anyone out there who has seen this problem and has feedback that is viable please respond.

cbairick said:
Of course, you are mistaken. The real data we were searching was actually on the server. We have no default Guest accounts. And the users mapping is done by logon script, which was running appropriately. And we have checked to confirm that there is not a permissions issue.

If there is anyone out there who has seen this problem and has feedback that is viable please respond.

Did you find a solution? Thanks, LTB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back