Internal Webcam not Detected

Sbateman92

So I've worked with 'Gateway support' for hours, days, and here's where I'm at.
-Downloaded Camera_Cyberlink_1.5.2108.00_W7x86W7x64_A
-Exracted files with WinRAR
-Ran Setup.exe as administrator
-Installation wizard I believe it completed, at the end got a red X and pop-up saying 'Webcam Device Not detected'

*This has been occurring since the notebook was purchased;
My webcam is built into the screen of my laptop,
laptop is a Gateway NE56R,
Operating on Windows 7 home premium
(Extremely grateful for any help not involving restoring to factory defaults! Thank you!)
~Samantha, OR, usa

When did you buy it? Is it still under warranty? We can take a further look at the problem but is very most likely we'll find it's due to web cam hardware failure (so want to make sure you're within return/repair policy window)

Bought it Oct/Nov of last year, not sure about the warranty

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but there used to be 2 matching error devices called Lexmark 44-something. They were under imaging devices but not sure what happened to them now

First, check to make sure there's no on/off switch or special function keys on the keyboard that could turn the cam on/off.

Next check if you're running 32- or 64-bit windows. [FONT=Tahoma]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218[/FONT]

Then download USBDeview. Install either the 32 or 64 bit version for your machine (scroll to end of USBDeview window to see the download links). Run it

At the top of the USBDeview display,
> click Edit->Select All,
> then Edit->Copy Selected.
> Then click File->Save Selected.

Be sure you change the Save As file type to Tab Delimited Text. (click thumbnail below. Towards bottom of that window you'll see the USBDeview File Save As options)

> Save the file on your Desktop. On your next post to TechSpot click the Upload a File button and attach to your post.
Save As.jpg

Huh. Yea, their server must have gone down. Do you need the 32 or 64 bit version? (I have a copy of the 32-bit version I can provide)

HERE's the 32 bit version if that helps. Extract the files and run the EXE file.

If you need the 64 bit version, we may need to wait till can get it again

Sorry to say, as suspected, looks to me that the web cam hardware has failed isn't working. See if it's still under warranty and maybe you can it fixed. p.s. I've seen alot of laptop cam failures reported here on TechSpot. (I;ve seen lots of failures reported but don''t know what that means as to what total % failure vs how many continue to work. But certainly it's not unusual to see laptop cams fail)

Here's how I interpret your data:
First, understand that Windows doesn't need drivers to detect plug and play hardware like a web cam. (Windows only needs the driver to actually use the device functionality, I.e. use the web cam to capture images)

Laptop web cams connect internally as USB devices. Thus if your cam were detected, I'd expected to find among the list of USB devices in your USBDeview report. But it's not there. That means either it's been turned off (if there were an off/switch) or the cam hardware simply isn't working. I can provide more detail if you're curious or have any other question

One very long shot (but easy to try). Remove the laptop battery. Unplug from AC power and let laptop sit overnight. Then insert battery and cable and power up. Also, under Device Manager USB, you can try right click each USB controller->Uninstall. Then at top of DevMgr menu, select Action->Scan for Hardware Change. Windows will automatically reinstall the controller driver and attempt to re-detect USB devices.

Back