Internet Explorer 7 Loads Painfully Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have Windows XP SP 2. This comes with Internet Explorer 6, which worked fine until I installed IE7. IE7 takes about an hour to load. Now, even if I uninstall IE7, IE6 does not work. It is not a spywear or firewall that blocks it and I do not have a virus. I tried to fix the problem by turning off the phishing filter, run it without add-ons. I reseted IE7 back to base level by erasing temporary internet files, cookies, history and password, still it does not work. I have installed Microsoft's critical updates, XP Service Pack 2 and I have the latest version of Flash Player and I tried registry fixes with the Windows Installation Disk.

Is there anybody, an expert who understands this problem with IE7?

Thank you for paying attention to this problem!

anatole

I am curious if any progress has been made on this (bump).

A one hour load time is the only symptom to work with. What is the health of the hardware? Is there a lot of i/o work, such as disk re-reads or task swapping due to limited memory?

While firewall, antispy, antivirus, etc. are not considered to be causing this, what about other startup programs. HJT (HiJackThis) tool can give insight here, as well as, the ability to quickly undo any changes.

try this experiment which will access your HD rather than the internet URL
get a command prompt (run cmd)

cd C:\Program Files
cd Internet Explorer
iexplore c:\​

Looks just like the EXPLORER view but should load quickly by NOT accessing anything from the Internet

I am also curious about any progress made. I support the idea of uninstalling, defragging, then re-installing.
Also, it could be an OS/memory issue.

fragmentation would not have this heavy an impact.

uninstall, reboot, reinstall is worth the effort.

the heavy lag is IE7 is most likely due to attempts to access remote sites and timing out on all of them.

check your TCP configuration and prove you have Internet access:
run->cmd
nslookup www.google.com
ping www.google.com
nslookup should report the IP address(s) of google and
ping should show the TCP time to access that site
NEITHER should timeout.

Any timeout implies a bad tcp configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back