Internet Explorer Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I'm new on here and after a brief search I couldn't find something on my issue, but I apologise if it has been discussed/resolved before.

Whilst online, Internet explorer will suddenly 'stop working' and then restart itself independently. Most annoying. Also, when I have finished and want to get offline, it will restart itself.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Kirstie

Hi Kirstie,

If you feel that the problem may be malware then it wouldnt be a bad idead to follow all the stpes HERE.

Remember to follow all the steps exactly as they are written and post back in this thread with the results and the three requested logs as attachments.(see how here)

Good luck and welcome to TechSpot.

In addition to checking for malware, you can also look in the event Viewer for Error occurring at same time the system crashes and reboots:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

There are three key pieces of information in the Error Event that can be used to find the cause of the problem.

Wow, thanks for your help! Before following the malware steps (I am not very technical at all so need to wait for my husband to get home to help), I have tried Bobbye's suggestion and this is the error that kept coming up:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 20/02/2008 20:21:28
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: kirstie-PC
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16609, time stamp 0x47575b9a, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0x11b8, application start time 0x01c873d755ba9ddb.

Does that mean anything to anyone? It certainly doesn't to me!! Is there anymore info needed? I'm really appreciative of your help and patience. Thanks!

Hi,

Thought this might be useful info. It appeared when my internet crashed but when I installed some 'anti-phishing' stuff that McAfee suggested it didn't install properly:

Contact McAfee, Inc. for support
This problem was caused by McAfee Anti-Spam, which was created by McAfee, Inc..
A solution is available that will solve this problem.
Solution

Go to the McAfee, Inc. website to learn more about the solution.

Uninstall it and download Firefox, see if that helps things along.

What OS do you use anyway?

Event ID #1000, Source: Application Error, Desc. Faulting App iexplore.exe, Faulting module ntdll.dll:
This problem can be caused by the Google toolbar after installing IE7. Uninstalling, then reinstalling the Google toolbar should handle the problem.

This may also occur if the application is not compatible with the operating system. For example, trying to run games designed for Windows 9x/ME on Windows 2000/XP.

FYI: What is the ntdll.dll file?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000960.htm

You will note the reference to add-ons in IE. Google toolbar is one of the add-ons.

kritius, telling someone to ignore an error and change browsers in the middle of troubleshooting isn't wise. Let's get her through the problem first. It is possible that the error is only happening because IE is being used at the time, but the cause is within the OS itself.

Kirstie, IE7 has a built in phishing filter. I suggest you either use it OR the McAfee filter, but not both. If you want to disable the filter in IE7:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/09/463204.aspx

Bobbye said:
kritius, telling someone to ignore an error and change browsers in the middle of troubleshooting isn't wise. Let's get her through the problem first. It is possible that the error is only happening because IE is being used at the time, but the cause is within the OS itself.
I didnt tell her to ignore it, i just wanted to see if it happened in firefox so that it could definitely be seen to be a problem with IE. Nowhere in my reply did i say to ignore the error, by uninstall it I was referring to the macafee anti phishing problem.

EDIT\\\

Sorry for any way my previous post was miscontrued, I should have made myself more clear as to what i was suggesting, it had been a very long day.

Problems have escalated

Hi All,

I uninstalled google toolbar and took McAfee off and am now using Norton as Firefox doesn't give protection from viruses. I have scanned my PC and there don't appear to be any viruses...but now any programme I am using suddenly crashes with the same msg that IE did. I don't get it. Then the screen went completely blue and a msg that filled the screen came up. It went again before I could read it all but it said something about a 'crash dump', then asked me to restart in safe mode or not (can't recall all the options). It did this again and again and again over the weekend.
Any clue as to what is going on?? I'm really worried now!

Thanks in advance.

Kirstie

Norton you say

Can you uninstall the Norton you have just installed fully (It may be in a few places in Add/Remove programs under Norton or Symantec or LiveReg or LiveUpdate).

And then reply back if you are still getting errors.

If you are worried about Virus attacks, please use AVG Free instead

"am now using Norton as Firefox doesn't give protection from viruses."

Kirstie, Firefox is a browser. It's job is to handle the internet traffic between your machine and the internet, not look for or protect against viruses. The same holds true for IE. Although browser do have settings for security, AV protection has never been their job.

Please see my reply with "you can also look in the Event Viewer for Error occurring at same time the system crashes and reboots:"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back