Internet loads homepage, but crashes as soon as I try to navigate away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimsbury

Hi All,

I've been having quite a few issues with my PC recently. The latest problem is with the internet. I'm using Windows XP and running IE7.

Each time I click on internet explorer, the homepage opens, but as soon as I click on a favourite, enter a search or a new address, the page freezes for approximately 20 seconds. A new blank window opens and also freezes (by blank, I mean it is a white screen that just says Internet Explorer provided by Sky Broadband in the blue box at the top. Occassionally, if I keep task manager open, I can use the original page to go to a new site, but after about 2 redirections, it all freezes again.

If I try to click on the tab of the original page, the new (white screen blue box) window overides it and keep sending me back to that page. I have to use task manager to close it down.

I've done a virus check (McAfee) but nothing came up. I've also done an Ad-aware scan but again, it came back clean.

I've tried to install ie updates but I can't download anything - it just opens a new white page with blue bar at the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Hijack this and combo fix if you need me to do any scans and post logs etc.

Many thanks in advance,
Amy

Well hello Amy. Did you ever get your burning CDs/DVDs straightened out?

My suggestion is for you to go to the Virus and Malware forums, read the 8 Steps sticky, follow it step by step (don't skip any steps), and post the three Logs they require -- on that forum -- that comes out of those 8 Steps (not the current ones you have).

Good luck. :)

Thanks Jim - will try that now. Still having issues with the CD/DVD. My otherhalf decided to download driver detective, and then new drivers for our motherboard, Things have been even worse since then!

Have put a call in re vhs to pc by the way. Will let you know how what they say

_______

UPDATE:

I ran thought the 8 steps sticky on the virus page. Has been tricky as I've had to download the software on my work computer and load onto the PC using a USB stick as I can't get the internet to work. I ran the malbytes malware programme and it found a couple of things. Ran the Superantispy overnight and it didn't come up with anything. I was able to use the computer as normal this morning. When I get home tonight, I'll post all of the logs (on the virus and malware thread) along with a new HJthis log just to be sure, but at the moment, things seems to be ok - Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back