Internet networking troubles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble connecting to the internet with my new comp. I have a 2Wire Homeportal 1000HG. It lights up all green and its connected to computer. Now when I look at my network connections It gives me this.

Limited or no connectivity.
You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

I click Repair and it still won't work for me. At the moment I have no clue on how to figuring this out.

Setup and ease of use

It takes a mere 15 minutes to set up the 2Wire HomePortal 1800HW and get on the Internet via a connected computer. The process is easy, and the instructions are clear. You'll spend much of that time performing the steps of the setup program, included on the accompanying CD-ROM. The program displays a series of graphics depicting typical home-networking setups, and it walks you through the hardware installation process. You'll also find a set of written instructions in the box; these help you hook up your DSL phone line and line filters and connect the USB or the Ethernet cabling to your computer. (We tested a DSL-capable version of the HomePortal, but you can also get it with a cable modem.) After the hardware setup is complete, you restart your PC, and the HomePortal proceeds to automatically detect and configure your particular broadband service.

You can connect to the HomePortal in any of three ways. The gateway's USB port functions as a network adapter, which lets you connect a computer without an Ethernet or wireless adapter. You can also connect to the HomePortal via its built-in 802.11b access point, which comes with a 64-bit WEP encryption key unique to each unit. Once you're connected, a browser-based configuration tool lets you change the HomePortal's settings and access the gateway's features and security options.

When I try to install the 2Wire and it is trying to establish a connection during the installation process it won't connect even though on the Homeportal its all GREEN. Now when go to my network connections I try to renew my IP and it says it's unable to renew my IP.

do you have xp home? how new is it? did you just get it, or have you had it for a while? if you just got it, i would firstly recommend a complete format/reinstall. new computers come bundles with all kinds of crap that you dont need, and it degrades system performance. read an article about these people who bought a new dell gaming system, and when they got it, it wouldnt even play most games out of the box, cause dell had so much crap on it. after format reinstall, it worked fine.

if you do not desire to format reload, though i strongly recomend it, i will research your problem further, but theres probably some excess crap on it causing you problems.

is that homeportal thing isp supplied, or did you buy it seperate? does your isp support it?

i cant find much info on that product, i would call your isp's tech support, or based on your internet wants/needs, and isp, if you have dsl, cable, or whatever, i would consider buying your own modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back