iPad backup location and lots of files..

UnWarierMage224

Hello everyone,

This is more of an inquiry to satisfy my curiosity.

So....

I'm running Windows XP + iTunes b/c I have an iPad. iPad backups are stored in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

In the "Backup" folder there is a single folder with a long filename consisting of mixed alphanumerics. Within the folder with the long filename are 600+ files, with filenames consisting of mixed alphanumerics.

So here's the question: Do these 600+ files (ALL OF THEM) constitute the iPad backup?

Thanks,

-'Mage

So here's the question: Do these 600+ files (ALL OF THEM) constitute the iPad backup?
There are two readings of that question:
1) are these file all of MY DATA?
or
2) is this a complete backup of the iPad system + my data?

The key to that answer is in the program used to create this "backup" ::- MobileSync
The so called 'Sync' system(s) typically dupicate USER DATA from one location to another, and sometimes compress/rename the data to conserver space.
(A pure sync pgm would duplicate w/o compress/rename and thus the files would be usable from both the Source and Target locations).
Sync is not intended to protect the iPad Operating System as well.

@ jobeard:

Oh, OK - Thanks!

So if this Backup is only my personal data and not the iPad OS... Would you know how to go about making a backup of the OS? I'm waiting for the latest OS jailbreak to drop.

Thanks,

-'Mage

Back