iPhone 15 set to feature a bezel redesign, titanium materials, and USB-C

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Illustrating the iterative updates most new phones come with these days, a report on the upcoming iPhone 15 cites thinner bezels as the standout new feature. There's also USB-C, of course, though Apple was kind of forced into adding the port.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman writes that Apple's mission to create an all-screen handset will take a step closer with the release of the iPhone 15.

Gurman claims that Cupertino will use low-injection pressure over-molding, or "LIPO," in the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max displays, shrinking the devices' bezels from around 2.2 millimeters in the current iPhones to just 1.5mm. The technology has already been used in the Apple Watch 7 to increase the size of its display by shrinking the borders and is expected to eventually come to the iPad.

The other big change Gurman predicts is Apple finally doing what it first did with the iPad in 2018: moving from a Lightning port to USB-C. Rumors that Apple will make the switch have been circulating for a while, and with the European Council making the charging standard a requirement for small devices sold in the EU by 2024, Apple appears to have little choice but to drop its proprietary connection.

Another change affects the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus. These cheaper models are said to be losing the top notch, replaced with the Dynamic Island pill-shaped cutout that debuted in the iPhone 14 Pro.

Other new features in the Pro models include changing the stainless-steel edges with titanium, a lighter, more premium material. The inside of the iPhone 15 Pro is also said to be undergoing an overhaul that will make it easier to repair.

The usual hardware updates will also be present. Gurman says there will be "major" upgrades to the rear camera, including new lenses and a much wider range of optical zoom. The Pro devices are said to be moving to the A17 SoC - expected to be the first A-series chip manufactured on the 3-nanometer technology - thereby improving performance by a reported 10-15% and reducing power consumption by up to 30%. The regular iPhone 15 models will come with last year's A16 processor.

The upgrades mean the entire iPhone 15 series is rumored to see price hikes outside of the US, while only the Pro models might be pricier than their predecessors in the States.

The iPhone 15 series is expected to land in the second half of September after Apple reveals it sometime during the first two weeks of the month. There are rumors that those tiny bezels are causing manufacturing issues that may lead to supply constraints, but others say Apple has already addressed this problem.

Permalink to story.

None of that is really interesting, the only particularly interesting aspect of the iphone 15 is its larger battery and the possibility that apple may now have better battery life then even battery focused android like the moto g play family.

I've waited years for Android to prove itself as a competitor, but despite so many glimmers of hope, it never really happened. This time around, I'm going to switch the iPhone and not look back.

I've waited years for Android to prove itself as a competitor, but despite so many glimmers of hope, it never really happened. This time around, I'm going to switch the iPhone and not look back.
Same, just opposite side - I was hoping the new iPhone will finally show anything which could make me swap, but there is absolutely nothing there worth of my money. Time for tab s9 preorder and upgrade to s23 ultra.

Same, just opposite side - I was hoping the new iPhone will finally show anything which could make me swap...
I change between iPhone and Android every 6 years or so. I've had a Google Pixel 6 Pro since launch and the Google Assistant answering calls has been a game changer for me. I have two sims (personal and work) and I seem to get a lot of spam calls these days, Having the assistant to filter these out has been amazing and I legitimately would miss this moving back to iOS.

It just so happened, they've semi-copied the idea in iOS17 with "Live Voicemail". Not as good as Google's implementation but at least I have somewhere to send all the spam calls and be able to get it transcribed live.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make it better in the next version of iOS and fully copy the way Google does it.
I can only give you examples of Apple copying Google though, I can't find any reason why someone would want to move from Android to iOS when just comparing the two directly. I guess it's more, lots of people have iPad's, Mac's, Apple Watches etc... And iPhones work best in the eco system for said people.

I change between iPhone and Android every 6 years or so. I've had a Google Pixel 6 Pro since launch and the Google Assistant answering calls has been a game changer for me. I have two sims (personal and work) and I seem to get a lot of spam calls these days, Having the assistant to filter these out has been amazing and I legitimately would miss this moving back to iOS.

It just so happened, they've semi-copied the idea in iOS17 with "Live Voicemail". Not as good as Google's implementation but at least I have somewhere to send all the spam calls and be able to get it transcribed live.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make it better in the next version of iOS and fully copy the way Google does it.
I can only give you examples of Apple copying Google though, I can't find any reason why someone would want to move from Android to iOS when just comparing the two directly. I guess it's more, lots of people have iPad's, Mac's, Apple Watches etc... And iPhones work best in the eco system for said people.
The biggest reason I can site is the apple store support. You can take an iphone to an apple store and get official support. Android, you have to go to third party stores and hope you wont get ripped off (you will). For flagships, androids have removed things like SD cards and audio jacks, so why pay a premium for a non apple device? Cheaper options. like the moto g line, have an obvious benefit: they are far cheaper and offer a good experience. More expensive ones, not so much.

Its a good point on apple watches, dont forget apple air tags, which there is no direct alternative for android, things like family control, tracking, find my iphone, ece also work really well and dont have great alternatives on droid.

Its a good point on apple watches, dont forget apple air tags, which there is no direct alternative for android, things like family control, tracking, find my iphone, ece also work really well and dont have great alternatives on droid.
I kinda think you either not really know what is going on with Android, or you kinda simplified your concerns.
- Getting ripped off in a store: 1st party Apple store will rip you off much more, officially. Stupid screen swap for latest models costs eur 489 for iphone 14 max and E320 for Samsung S23 ultra in official Samsung service, and cheaper in 'third party'. For cheapest Apple 14 it is E320, and for cheapest s23 it is E234...
Just to check third party: Fonfix charge E26d for s23 ultra screen replacement, so.... yeah....

- I'm not paying premium for non-apple device. I'm paying premium for a better device. Simple like that. Apple doesn't cost this much, really, and comparing an unchanged slabs to some nice productive stuff like dex, or all the folding options, hmmm...

- "dont forget apple air tags" - dont forget Samsung smart tags...

- "things like family control" - I mean, my kid has learned hard way what means 'screen time limit'. Sharing youtube premium using my family app on Samsung... your point is?:)

- not sure what ECE is, but I guess it is similar to the above - something that exists everywhere, just you hadn't hear about it;)

I kinda think you either not really know what is going on with Android, or you kinda simplified your concerns.
- Getting ripped off in a store: 1st party Apple store will rip you off much more, officially. Stupid screen swap for latest models costs eur 489 for iphone 14 max and E320 for Samsung S23 ultra in official Samsung service, and cheaper in 'third party'. For cheapest Apple 14 it is E320, and for cheapest s23 it is E234...
Just to check third party: Fonfix charge E26d for s23 ultra screen replacement, so.... yeah....
You get what you pay for. I've seen repairs doen by these "third party "stores, and I'd never trust them. Sure, they may put in a new screen on your motorola, but they dont tar it as well, or in one case at all, and the next time it gets bumped the screen turns off, or shorts ont he board and kills it.

Your official repairs, with a warranty on said repair, are far superior, especially on $1000+ devices. Getting the 14 pro max screen replace,d the most expensive here in the USA, is $379. It's about $300 for third party. A $79 difference on a $1500 phone is a paltry amount to split hairs over.
- I'm not paying premium for non-apple device. I'm paying premium for a better device. Simple like that. Apple doesn't cost this much, really, and comparing an unchanged slabs to some nice productive stuff like dex, or all the folding options, hmmm...
"better" is subjective. Dex is neat, but touchwiz is total garbage. High end android flagships and iphones are comparable in build quality and capability.
- "dont forget apple air tags" - dont forget Samsung smart tags...
Which are MORE expensive then air tags and only work with samsung devices. Somehow this is superior. How does this help people using motorolas, or HTCs, or LGs, or Huwaeis, xaiomis, ece?
- "things like family control" - I mean, my kid has learned hard way what means 'screen time limit'. Sharing youtube premium using my family app on Samsung... your point is?:)

- not sure what ECE is, but I guess it is similar to the above - something that exists everywhere, just you hadn't hear about it;)
My point is integrated apple controls are simple and easy to use, as opposed to controls scattered among various services. What is hard to understand about that? Yes, alternatives do exist. They are not centralized, and for non techies, this is a steep hill to climb.

You get what you pay for. I've seen repairs doen by these "third party "stores, and I'd never trust them. Sure, they may put in a new screen on your motorola, but they dont tar it as well, or in one case at all, and the next time it gets bumped the screen turns off, or shorts ont he board and kills it.

Your official repairs, with a warranty on said repair, are far superior, especially on $1000+ devices. Getting the 14 pro max screen replace,d the most expensive here in the USA, is $379. It's about $300 for third party. A $79 difference on a $1500 phone is a paltry amount to split hairs over.
Nah. You said the advantage of Apple is that you can get official support and you don't have this option with Samsung, or you will be ripped by 3rd party - where you have full first party official Samsung support including door to door and it does cost less than apple, which kinda rips you off for asking more than competition for less advanced screens.

Yes, they are, and that what Samsung is doing as well... but I'm not talking about 3rd party, I'm taking about 1st party Samsung support...

"better" is subjective. Dex is neat, but touchwiz is total garbage. High end android flagships and iphones are comparable in build quality and capability.
Exactly, that's why you're looking for features which are 'better' for you. That's why Apple is worse choice for my needs.

Which are MORE expensive then air tags and only work with samsung devices. Somehow this is superior. How does this help people using motorolas, or HTCs, or LGs, or Huwaeis, xaiomis, ece?
Again, depending on your needs: smart tags allow you to control other devices and locate your phone straight away which comes really handy for me. As for the other phones compatibility, if that weere important for me I'd go with Tile and cover everything, including iPhones.
My point is integrated apple controls are simple and easy to use, as opposed to controls scattered among various services. What is hard to understand about that? Yes, alternatives do exist. They are not centralized, and for non techies, this is a steep hill to climb.
My point is, integrated Samsung controls are easy and simple, and they are not scattered on any other devices unless I would like to do that. Alternatives always exists and thanks for that I can use any store on my device I want, or install self written soft for free. Without compromising anything else, really - if I want great quality and integration I can easily get a phone, watch, tablet and laptop integration within a few clicks. As @Burty117 wrote in the post you answered first, "I can't find any reason why someone would want to move from Android to iOS when just comparing the two directly". You like apple features, fine, you dont like android, that's finer as well, but pretending family control or integration, or first party service exists only on apple is kinda stretching facts little bit too much;)

Nah. You said the advantage of Apple is that you can get official support and you don't have this option with Samsung, or you will be ripped by 3rd party - where you have full first party official Samsung support including door to door and it does cost less than apple, which kinda rips you off for asking more than competition for less advanced screens.

Yes, they are, and that what Samsung is doing as well... but I'm not talking about 3rd party, I'm taking about 1st party Samsung support...

Exactly, that's why you're looking for features which are 'better' for you. That's why Apple is worse choice for my needs.

Again, depending on your needs: smart tags allow you to control other devices and locate your phone straight away which comes really handy for me. As for the other phones compatibility, if that weere important for me I'd go with Tile and cover everything, including iPhones.

My point is, integrated Samsung controls are easy and simple, and they are not scattered on any other devices unless I would like to do that. Alternatives always exists and thanks for that I can use any store on my device I want, or install self written soft for free. Without compromising anything else, really - if I want great quality and integration I can easily get a phone, watch, tablet and laptop integration within a few clicks. As @Burty117 wrote in the post you answered first, "I can't find any reason why someone would want to move from Android to iOS when just comparing the two directly".
Unless Fonfix is a samsung company, you have now admitted that your arguments are half baked and you will move your goalposts to keep your commentary about Samsung going. There's no point in arguing with you.
You like apple features, fine, you dont like android, that's finer as well, but pretending family control or integration, or first party service exists only on apple is kinda stretching facts little bit too much;)
I have stated many times that I am an android user on this forum. Reeding iz hrd eh? ;)

WOW! What a game changer! That entire 0.02 inch BIGGER display!
The only thing of real benefit is the switch to the USB-C. The Titanium
frame might help morons that stick their phones in their pockets, then
sit on their phone from bending them.
I'm sure the "we destroy anything for views" types on Youtube/tik-tok etc
will see what it takes to bend them.

None of that is really interesting, the only particularly interesting aspect of the iphone 15 is its larger battery and the possibility that apple may now have better battery life then even battery focused android like the moto g play family.

Depends what you are coming from. My wife's on an old iPhone X with failing lightning port. This would be a very nice upgrade for her. If I was on 12, 13, or 14 I wouldn't bother. Personally I'm waiting for 16/17 before I upgrade my S21, I'm done with Android going forward.

Same, just opposite side - I was hoping the new iPhone will finally show anything which could make me swap, but there is absolutely nothing there worth of my money. Time for tab s9 preorder and upgrade to s23 ultra.

Love my S23 Ultra, there's really not much an iPhone can do it cant, or does better. Someone mentioned touchwiz which I agree was garbage, but it's been gone for years now in favour of OneUI, and even then I run a launcher so it works more like a Oneplus or Pixel. For many years now nothing iPhones do is a drawcard for me to return to an iPhone, and much of what they do is now reactionary to high end Androids, it comes out 1-3 years later but in a very polished state. It just all sort of feels meh to my tech enthusiast brain that wants cutting edge features when they're actually cutting edge.

Really depends what you want from a phone, and I can 100% see that iPhones are for, and appeal to a great many people, they are great devices with great service, a safe choice. Take my mum, she has an apple TV and iPad too, the ecosystem suits her, and every time she upgrades there's virtually no learning curve or setup, it's mint.

I prefer higher end and cutting edge hardware features, like bigger nicer screens, full customisation and control in the OS, installing or doing whatever the heck I want, how I want, insane camera system, the versatility with USB display out for Dex/screen mirroring, the list goes on. It's easy to see that doesn't appeal to some and they just want something that's easy to use, works really well, and has great support - and they're happy to pay a premium for that.

Just curious, what exactly did you mean by this "Having the assistant to filter these out has been amazing"
What specific action do you tell it to perform?

Love my S23 Ultra, there's really not much an iPhone can do it cant, or does better. Someone mentioned touchwiz which I agree was garbage, but it's been gone for years now in favour of OneUI, and even then I run a launcher so it works more like a Oneplus or Pixel. For many years now nothing iPhones do is a drawcard for me to return to an iPhone, and much of what they do is now reactionary to high end Androids, it comes out 1-3 years later but in a very polished state. It just all sort of feels meh to my tech enthusiast brain that wants cutting edge features when they're actually cutting edge.

Really depends what you want from a phone, and I can 100% see that iPhones are for, and appeal to a great many people, they are great devices with great service, a safe choice. Take my mum, she has an apple TV and iPad too, the ecosystem suits her, and every time she upgrades there's virtually no learning curve or setup, it's mint.

I prefer higher end and cutting edge hardware features, like bigger nicer screens, full customisation and control in the OS, installing or doing whatever the heck I want, how I want, insane camera system, the versatility with USB display out for Dex/screen mirroring, the list goes on. It's easy to see that doesn't appeal to some and they just want something that's easy to use, works really well, and has great support - and they're happy to pay a premium for that.
I am just glad they improved battery life from 22 ultra. It was horrible for me. I hate that feeling when I am away from home and need to make calls barely having nay charge left.
I actually forgot how it feels to have a bad battery life until I bought s22 ultra.

I am just glad they improved battery life from 22 ultra. It was horrible for me. I hate that feeling when I am away from home and need to make calls barely having nay charge left.
I actually forgot how it feels to have a bad battery life until I bought s22 ultra.
Interesting, I had the 21 Ultra, now wifes phone and I have the S23U so never had a proper hard look at the 22, the 21/23 have both been really good, in fact on the 23 I limit charge to 85% max and have never finished a day under 40%, even on holiday.

The biggest reason I can site is the apple store support. You can take an iphone to an apple store and get official support.
Depends on the brand to be fair, Sony Google and Samsung I can get official support with local shops, either directly in a manufacturer shop or official store (like EE in the UK). My Google Pixel just got repaired on Warranty and the EE store was authorised directly from Google. My OnePlus though, that was pot luck to get any work done on it!

Saying all this, when I had an iPhone, none of the Androids I've had are as good as walking into a massive Apple Store and getting my phone repaired there and then. Apple are a bit more detailed with the pricing and work carried out as well.
why pay a premium for a non apple device?
You could argue high end Android phones have better camera's/battery/screens/OS.
For me, Android is a better OS, Settings menu makes more sense, more customisable, better at multi-tasking and WAY better for work stuff thanks to the Work Profile, and notifications are just handled that much better. I must caveat this with, I haven't daily'ed iOS since the iPhone 6 Plus. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised come this winter that iOS has matured or copied Google enough to make iOS a bit more power user friendly and not just for old people.
I've used Tiles before which is a competitor to air tags but less popular, so it's much less useful if you truly lose something. I never stuck with them anyway, used the 2-3 I got for free then never renewed them. Google has its own version of "Find my" that works just as well as Apples. I can't speak for family controls though, as I've not had a use for them. I'd be surprised if Google doesn't do the exact same thing as Apple though.
Just curious, what exactly did you mean by this "Having the assistant to filter these out has been amazing"
What specific action do you tell it to perform?
I get a lot of spam calls that aren't already listed as spam, so they look like legit calls. I deal with different clients every day and I strive to save their numbers but I don't always. I can send the calls to Google Assistant and she'll take care of the call, transcribing what they say and respond for me if needed or tell them I'm coming to the phone if I know them and want to talk to them. If they're being ultra annoying, I can get Google Assistant to just waste their time which is also great.

It's honestly the best thing about the Pixel phone so far, I get too many spam calls and the Pixel has been the only phone that's actually helped me in this regard. iOS 17's "Live Voicemail" is a step in the right direction, hopefully in the future, Siri can answer the call, respond with whatever I ask her to, and transcribe the whole conversation.

Back