iPhone 7 to feature redesigned home button, new Apple Watch models coming in 2016

Jos

Staff

Apple is expected to announce a new iPhone sometime next month. While we already have a pretty good idea of what to expect, a new report by Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman -- who has an extremely good track record for scoops and news on upcoming Apple products -- lends more weight to those rumors and brings some extra bits of information to the table.

Gurman says the new iPhones will have a pressure-sensitive button that provides feedback to the user via a vibrating haptic sensation rather than a true physical click, similar to the MacBook's Force Touch trackpad. It’s unclear if this is meant to provide new functionality, or simply serve to save some space under the hood.

The report reaffirms rumors we’ve heard many times before, like the 5.5-inch “Plus” model having a new dual-lens camera system that will produce better photos. The two sensors will capture two images independently then merge them into one to get higher quality images, especially in lower light conditions, and allow greater clarity when zooming in.

Gurman also says this year’s models will look similar to the 6 and 6S, holding back on a major redesign until next year, when the iPhone celebrates its 10th birthday. The only noticeable change aside from subtler antenna lines is the lack of a headphone jack, opting for connectivity via Bluetooth and the charging port instead.

Apple Watch rumors are also doing the rounds this morning. According to a separate report by AppleInsider, based on an investor note by KGI Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is planning two new models of the Watch which would arrive later this year.

One of them will reportedly be a minor update to the current model, with a better processor and improved waterproofing -- sort of an ’s’ upgrade for the device. The second model, dubbed "Apple Watch 2" for now, will reportedly get GPS and a barometer, which will allow it to pinpoint more accurately your location.

Apple will reportedly adopt thinner display technology for the Apple Watch 2, but will retain the same screen sizes and thickness as existing models, with a similar form factor overall, due to the use of a slightly larger battery. Kuo does not expect cellular connectivity on the Apple Watch until at least 2017 despite some rumors suggesting otherwise.

We’re taking the Apple Watch rumors with a grain of salt, but if two new models are indeed planned for 2016, they might be unveiled alongside the new iPhones next month.

Permalink to story.

Samsung WISHES people cared this much about their phones LOL

IPHONE 7 PRO 256 GB for me.

I don't know anyone who owns an iPhone that doesn't think my Note 5 is awesome. They just choose iPhone because they think it's "easier". I used to own iPhones, but never again. I've had a Samsung since the S4.

Wow, a new home button. That ought to be camping outside the store for a week for.

Wow, a new home button. That ought to be camping outside the store for a week for.

No one has to "wait on line" anymore.

PREORDER IT and PICK IT UP.

I waited online overnight from 11pm - 2pm to get my 6+ 128GB before the Chinese snapped em up.

With my Applewatch and 6s+128GB I preordered and just walked in for pickup. Took 10 minutes.

I vlogged both purchases on my Youtube.

No one has to "wait on line" anymore.

PREORDER IT and PICK IT UP.

I waited online overnight from 11pm - 2pm to get my 6+ 128GB before the Chinese snapped em up.

With my Applewatch and 6s+128GB I preordered and just walked in for pickup. Took 10 minutes.

I vlogged both purchases on my Youtube.
guessed you missed the sarcasm there dude

I'm not denying that Android is more open and that it does allow for the user to change a lot of stuff but outside a small circle of geeks, most people don't change a thing about their Android phones. Geeks like to say that on Android you can change your launcher, your default web browser, email client, text messaging app, image/photo viewer, music player, camera, phone app, calendar, and everything else under the sun. But let me tell you something... 99% of users that aren't geeks don't change a thing about their Android phones, heck... most people don't even change their ring tone for God's sake. Do you have any idea how many people still have the default T-Mobile ring tone? Yeah... lots of people.

For those people who really couldn't care one bit about how their phones work and just want it work, an iPhone is the best choice. It gives that category of users everything that they could ever need right out of the box with little to no tweaking or adding of things. If there is one thing that Apple excels at more than anyone else in the industry, it is ease of use. Everything a normal person could ever want is already on an iPhone ready to be used the moment they pick it up.

And the best part is, the device is supported. If you have a problem or a question and you don't know the answer and you would rather talk to someone and not just a faceless user on a forum, you can call Apple or walk into any Apple Store and talk to a Genius Bar person and they can walk you through on how to do something. There's no safety net for Android users and their devices.

For geeks, yes, Android may very well be a better platform but for the vast majority of people who just want it to work... Apple is best. There's no arguing this.

Back