iPhone lock screen can be partially bypassed via two new bugs

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The folks at iPhone Islam have discovered a bug that bypasses the lock screen on the iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S. Demonstrated in a three-minute YouTube video, the flaw is simple to exploit with some patience and grants unauthorized access to the handset's full contact list, recent calls and favorites, along with being able to make standard or FaceTime calls.

The hack requires you to return a missed call through the iOS notification screen while the device is searching for a network. The video notes this is easier to accomplish if you're in an area with no signal, but you can repeatedly eject and reinsert the SIM card to achieve a similar effect. If timed properly, the handset will unlock itself to the phone application.

In a separate development, Cult of Mac reports that iPatch has found a security hole allowing an attacker to sidestep the lock screen and access an iPhone's pictures. Normally, when an iOS 5 device is locked, you can access the camera application to take pictures from the secured state, but you can't view previously taken shots without entering a code.

However, iPatch is able to access the iPhone 4's camera roll sans authorization by briefly removing its battery (requires you to undo two screws to slide off the rear cover). Once the device reboots, you toggle to the front-facing camera (assuming it's not selected already) and open sesame: you can view all the photos. It's unknown if this works on the iPhone 4S.

Permalink to story.

Wow, proof that no OS is flawless, must've taken ages and a lot of fiddling to find these 2 flaws though, the first one was cut as well so I bet he's been trying for a good 10 minutes, the second one was easier to re-create, I bet it does work on the 4S as well as it sounds like a time stamp thing?

An Apple product that isn't secure how can this be.

Is it 2012 or did steve jobs die o wait.....

Guess we will see you soon lord jobs.

Both of these hacks are pretty useless. Wake me up when you can bypass security and unlock the phone to any carrier.

Who says these are bugs? Maybe Apple put these in on purpose so that law enforcement could access these parts of a phone in the case of a criminal investigation without requiring the password (either because the owner is dead or not cooperating). I mean, why else would you only be able to access phone lists and pictures? I doubt police care about your angry birds app too much.

insect said:
Who says these are bugs? Maybe Apple put these in on purpose so that law enforcement could access these parts of a phone in the case of a criminal investigation without requiring the password (either because the owner is dead or not cooperating). I mean, why else would you only be able to access phone lists and pictures? I doubt police care about your angry birds app too much.

I can't help but laugh at this. No, it's not for law enforcement, it's for us, the reptilian secret police. This is so that we can use phone contacts to uncover humans' secret networks of resistance. Nowhere is safe. In fact right now we're backtracing your identity through your techspot log-in. No amount of IP tunnels, VPNs, or VMs will save you. Expect a visit shortly.

These exploits are New World Order crafted and change as they're discovered. How else are 100 IQ cops supposed to shake you down on their own?

Don't worry, just follow these steps to fix iPhone stuck at Apple logo:

=> First of all Start your Computer and then connect with Internet connection, now Download the latest version of the iTunes application

=> Now install the iTunes application in your System and connect your Device with computer via Data cable

=> Now connect your Device with iTunes application and then Tab on summary option, see in the left side bar of iTunes

=> Now Select restore option from iTunes and then confirm the Restore Message for better results. After this unplug your Device and Restart it

I hope that will surely

Thank you...

Back