Is Apple now considering removing the headphone jack from the MacBook Pro?

midian182

Staff member

Most people weren’t too surprised when Apple revealed that the iPhone 7 wouldn’t come with a headphone jack. Rumors and speculation over the decision had been circulating for months, but a lot of fans were still angry about it. Apple, however, thinks it was the right choice, and the company may eventually do the same thing with the MacBook Pro.

MacRumors was the first to notice that Apple has been sending out surveys to MacBook Pro users asking about a number of features found on the laptop. But the question that sticks out the most is: “Do you ever use the headphone port on your MacBook Pro with Retina display?”

Other questions ask how satisfied users are with their laptop’s battery life, how often they use specific ports, and what method they use to upload photos from a digital camera to a MacBook.

Apple is expected to release its refreshed MacBook Pro series next month. Leaked images of the laptop's chassis suggest it will include a 3.5mm headphone jack, along with four USB Type-C ports. It also shows an absence of an SD card slot, HDMI port, USB-A port, and MagSafe connection.

Assuming the images are accurate, it seems that it could be a while before Apple decides the MacBook Pro should follow in the iPhone’s footsteps and abandon the 50-year-old 3.5 mm connector. Exactly how long could depend on the responses it receives from the survey.

Some other rumored changes expected to arrive on the refreshed MacBook Pro include a slimmer design, flatter keyboard, and an OLED touch panel.

Permalink to story.

On the iPhone 7: Given the religious compulsion people feel towards iProducts, I will suspend my criticism of the deletion of the headphone jack on the smartphone. The market they are targeting simply does not care.

On a phoneless MBP: Tim Cook and company must be stoned out of their minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
OLED panel would honestly be a nice improvement. As far as MBP is concerned and the headphone jack, I don't know how many people actually use it or not. I know I have a 2.1 setup connected to my laptop (not MBP) and would never want to lose the mic and headphone jacks unless I have at least 6 usb type c ports total.

OLED panel would honestly be a nice improvement. As far as MBP is concerned and the headphone jack, I don't know how many people actually use it or not. I know I have a 2.1 setup connected to my laptop (not MBP) and would never want to lose the mic and headphone jacks unless I have at least 6 usb type c ports total.
Are you opposed to using USB hubs for some reason?

Why? On a phone I can sort of understand... but you aren't as limited to empty space on a laptop so I don't see the need.

I use the headphone jack on my MacBook all the time.

One day we will look back on headphone jacks like we look at VCRs. Kudos to Apple for taking the first steps into an all digital experience.

One day we will look back on headphone jacks like we look at VCRs. Kudos to Apple for taking the first steps into an all digital experience.
VCR to DVD was a jump in quality, 3.5mm analog to the current wireless landscape is not. I'll just wait over here enjoying my high res 24-bit DAC and amp while headphone manufacturers find a way to make some decent wireless audio for all those poor Apple users.

Last edited:
Are you opposed to using USB hubs for some reason?

Yes. High power devices don't work through hubs unless you buy the $50+ hubs that support 3A through all ports. I don't want an extra thing to have to carry around with me and that I have to pay extra for when my current setup doesn't require such extras because it has a headphone jack and mic jack.

So it'll be water resistant...:p
We already have water resistant headphones jacks.

Seriously though, why? Everyone wanted to upgrade to DVD from VHS because there were a lot of benefits, video quality, not having to rewind tapes, skipping and pausing work better, etc. What benefits does removing the headphone jack from a laptop afford?

and one day we will look back on the Apple MacBook Pro like we look back on the Commodore 64.....but wait, I LIKED my Commodore 64

Maybe Apple will remove the 3.5mm jack from all their products then, including the iPod.

The courage to 'move on'.

Back