Is Dell XPS 600 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akio

After countless run in problems with my downstairs computer, I've come to the conclusion that it would be best to just scrap it. It's far to old, I believe I assembled it back in 2000, maybe '01? Currently running off a Intel Pentium 3 Processor. :grinthumb Not quite sure about the Graphics card, how would I find that information? Anyway, I talked to my cousin and he claimed that Dell has good computers at cheap prices. I checked it out, and looked under gaming. Now the first one I noticed was the XPS 600, probably because of it's sleek looking case. At $1,749 is it seriously worth it?

I customized it up a bit aswell, and came to a total of $2,618. Here's the specs -

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 4 DIMMs
19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1905FP Digital Flat Panel
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Sound Blaster Audigy™ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability

I have a feeling that Alienware would give me a better deal. If you guys have any input on where I can buy computer systems, it would be greatly appreciated. It should be mainly for gaming purposes, be able to play newest titles, and be roughly around $2,500. I know that at that price, I probably won't get much.

Dang Man!

Dude, for that much money you can get an awesome system. I would definitely try Alienware, you could get a really good Athlon system. That Dell is a really good deal too. If you are going to be using the display for gaming, I suggest the Dell 1704 FPT. It has a low response time. Or you could get the awesome, but pricey, Dell 2005 FPW at $450. It is the best moniter under $800. Period. Alienware is good for Athlon, but I would get the XPS if you want Intel. And I would get one of the moniters I listed no matter what. Good Luck.

Hahaha, okay so wait... you recommend the Dell? Sorry I couldn't really understand what you said.

Yeah!

Yes, in general Dell isn't all that great, but the XPS 600 is really good. It is worth the risk of Dell's awful service. The XPS 600 is a really good machine, and can run SLI with dual 16x lanes. That means 32 total lanes of 7800 GTX. This computer is the first to do that.

i agree with gary i would go with the AlienWare there much better than Dell. altho ive got a friend that has a XPs 600 and its a nice computer but there service blows AlienWares is much better and i think AleinWare would last alot longer. if your gonna spend 2000bux why not just spen 2000bux and build your own? you could get a much better system building it yourself with for that kind of money.

Yeah

I would recomend you build your own. But if you are going to buy, get Intel from Dell, and Athlon from Alienware. I agree, if I had all the money in the world, I would get a Intel from Alienware. But the same system as the Dell 600 from alienware would be 300-400 dollars more. I would get Athlon from them though. And I still recomend the Dell screens.

I ordered a 600 two weeks ago - still waiting for it to arrive though :(

I agree with spartanslayer...In January of this year I put this together:

P4 3.4HT 800fsb (Prescott LGA775)
Intel 915pbl Mobo (PCI-E no AGP) onbaord NIC, sound etc...
1GB DDR2 ram @533 (2 DIMMS)
GeForce 6600GT
Hitachi 250gb Sata HD
Rosewill 52x CD-RW
NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD+-RW
Acer 19inch LCD
Aspire X-Navigator Case (has 500w power supply)
......and I spent just under $1200 and that was months ago....so if you get a beefier video card, more memory, and a nicer display (just working towards the XPS setup) you will spend much less, get "exactly" what you want and know what's in the box..

This is just a suggestion, I am not trying to start any flamewars here about this is better than that....hopefully noone takes it that way.... but I think most will agree about building your own...

Those Dells are based on the new BTX layout. PC opens on the 'wrong' side, has no parallel or serial ports, has hardly, if any, PCI or other expansion slots, is ridiculously over-priced, you probably get a 'freebie' junk-printer with it that will cost you anarm and a leg in replacement cartridges, and if you ever have any problems, I hope you understand Indian.
And Sony monitors can run circles around Dell-monitors!

In my opinion: Down with Dell!

When you say "Build your own PC" do you mean go to the store yourself, buy the stuff, go home and build it? Or do you mean do it online? I would prefer to do it online (much less hassle!) because I would have to go to different stores to acquire these items at a good price. Do you have any sites to recommend on building your own PC? It would be cool if it was all on one site!

Just so you know, it doesn't work unless you use www infront of it vika09. :rolleyes: I've never heard of this company and yet, they're pretty much down the street from me. Are they any good? My friend recommended Falcon Northwest, but I've never heard of them aswell.

If you have even a HINT of tech skills in your blood, then build your own system. This way you can be sure you have high quality parts from top to bottom, and you save some coin at the same time. Win win situation.

Plus, by putting your own system together, you learn invaluable info about computers. This info will save you money in the future as you may be able to troubleshoot problems on your own, and upgrade on your own, saving you tech fees at the local computer shop.

And www.newegg.com will have all the parts you need, at the lowest (or at least close to) prices you'll be able to find anywhere.

How about this. You tell us your budget, and let us suggest the parts within that budget. You can then decide to follow our advice, or choose the dark path (dell).

The dark path, hahaha! That's good... I probably would've bought the Alienware anyway, I was just curious about the XPS. I don't have a budget though! It's just the sensible side of me has set a budget. :rolleyes: Going to be primarily used for gaming and anything around $2,500.

Didn't you say you assembled your old downstairs computer that you now want to replace? If you did it then, you certainly can do it now.

Let me reinforce what DonNagual said about Newegg. It is hard to beat their selection and prices and their speed for standard delivery is unbeatable, generally. I recently completed building a PC for my parents (I delivered it yesterday) and in researching parts and prices found they couldn't be beat. That wasn't necessarily true a several months ago when I built another PC but recently they have been really paying attention to competitive pricing. I have bought components from ZipZoomFly before and would again but this time they were not as competitive pricewise. Anyway, you could do a lot worse than Newegg.

Alienware is fine but a bit expensive, that's all.

Puget systems is good, the delivery and setup is excellent. they do charge a little high though, but for the service they provide i feel its worth it :grinthumb

Akio said:
After countless run in problems with my downstairs computer, I've come to the conclusion that it would be best to just scrap it. It's far to old, I believe I assembled it back in 2000, maybe '01? Currently running off a Intel Pentium 3 Processor. :grinthumb Not quite sure about the Graphics card, how would I find that information? Anyway, I talked to my cousin and he claimed that Dell has good computers at cheap prices. I checked it out, and looked under gaming. Now the first one I noticed was the XPS 600, probably because of it's sleek looking case. At $1,749 is it seriously worth it?

I customized it up a bit aswell, and came to a total of $2,618. Here's the specs -

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 4 DIMMs
19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1905FP Digital Flat Panel
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Sound Blaster Audigy™ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability

I have a feeling that Alienware would give me a better deal. If you guys have any input on where I can buy computer systems, it would be greatly appreciated. It should be mainly for gaming purposes, be able to play newest titles, and be roughly around $2,500. I know that at that price, I probably won't get much.
I have an XPS600. Tried to upgrade to 8800GTS cards in SLI. Impossible? I'm looking for someone who has been able to do it with the original DELL XPS600 mob. Not Worth It. One card works; two cards will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back