Is EN6200TC256/TD/64M best in it's price range ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patosan

G'day guys,

I've been managing for some time now with win ME in a NEC notebook :
Pent III 700MHz and 128 RAM, etc ... year ago added extra 256 RAM
I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with instability and freezing when having multiple apps open, then there's the printer ... the load is too much. Forget about playing games !

So I'm getting a new desktop put together by a DIY part shop near me where the guy doesn't mind fumbling around each other's poor Japanese and English. Oh yeah I'm in Japan. Anyway I'm going for something that should stay potent for a few years, allow heaps of options, etc. Somthing powerful but not at the gamers edge ... way pricey.
CPU : Core 2 Duo 6600
board : P965 NEO-F
mem : PC-5300-1GB/JEDEC x 2
Graphic : EN6200TC256/TD/64M

Checking the net last night I read review about the grahics card selected as being pretty good for the money but running very hot , since no fan. Also there could be some driver trouble with Linux. So guys what do you think of this card or do you think there's a much better card out there in basically the same price ballpark ?

What games are you hoping to be able to play? The 6200 series are getting dated quickly, and will not be enough power to handle the newer games out today. Secondly, in a year or so it will be even further down the path of irrelevance.

I'd look at the 7600 lineup myself, but of course it is all a matter of budget vs. performance. What budget are you working with? If you give me your budget, I will put together a list of parts for you to compare. I also live here in Japan, so I can work with Japanese prices.

The cheapest spot I know of is www.faith-go.co.jp but they have no English speakers working there. I have been buying from them for years, and they are a great company.

WARNING: Do not buy a 6200TC.

Do not but the 6200TC! I have one, if you have to opt for one due to budget constraints then better that you wait for prices to fall more or save up.

DonNagual said:
Actually, I meant a budget for the entire system, and I will show you what kind of system you COULD build with your money.
Here is a 7600GS in your budget: http://www.faith-go.co.jp/lists/viewitem.asp?cid=00006&id=000000200510382
Thanks for the reply, I was checking various cards last night and found that in the lower budget these were strongly recommended :
7300GT GDDR3 (not DDR2) ... 10,000 yen
Radeon X800 GTO128
then for a litle more : 7600GT ... 18,000 yen

I read that the 7300GT is bloody good bang for buck and should suffice till I need more.
How do you feel about the 7600GS you suggested ... compared to these ?
Of course the 6200TC is now well and truly out of the picture.

My overall budget is arounf 150,000 yen for complete setup, incl 19" monitor, etc.
Plus the guy will assist me with XP install, Jp version, and partitioning my HDD for multi boot.
It's a pretty good deal for the CPU and 2G RAM, though only 160G HDD.
I'm considering upping the HDD or are 2 seperate better ?

Get the X800GTO instead of the 7300. the 7300 is just like a 6200... very slow and crippled.

Does that budget include XP?

What is the MAIN purpose of the computer? I.e., what will you be using it for? If you want to do some gaming, what kind of games are we talking here (game names)?

No XP is not incl ... I bought the SP2 early this year when I was having major trouble with winME. The troubles were fixed and I haven't used XP yet. If I was to get XP too he'd add 12,600 yen to the price.

As I said in my thread intro I haven't had any chance to game due to my system being old and underpowered. So to be honest I don't know exactly what games I'll be using so am after a good value for low budget card. Though after reading about the 6200 I feel the 7300GT GDRR3 or Radeon X800 GTO128 should give me better performance and future options while staying in the low end of the market.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Short-List-Gaming-Video-money-ftopict169937.html

Did some looking around, and it looks like you are getting a good deal for 150,000 yen if you are getting a Core Duo 6600, 2gigs of ram, X800 series graphics, 19" monitor. Not bad at all.

What kind of power supply are they hooking you up with? Make sure it has at least 24amps on the +12v rail.

That price is incl the 6200TC256 GPU not the X800 ... I'll check his opinions on the cards mentioned and get the new quote soon. It shouldn't be much more though as both are in the under USD100 range.

DonNagual said:
What kind of power supply are they hooking you up with? Make sure it has at least 24amps on the +12v rail.
Actually I think the one he intends to use is 18amps on the +12v rail.
Why is 24amp important ?

A lot of newer hardware uses the +12v rail(s) to power them, for example the processor, drives, cooling fans and graphics cards. If you don't have enough amps, it can't power the system properly. If you are getting a cheaper graphics card you MIGHT be OK with 18amps.

My power supply has triple +12v rails with 18amps each. Overkill perhaps ;)

Anyways, keep future upgrades in mind as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back