Is GTX 460 a good next step in computer upgrade?

JoeyBritt

Hi all,

Before I begin I am currently running:
MOBO: Asus p5N-E Sli
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: 4GB Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/4G
GRAPHICS: Nvidia 9600GT

I'm not particularly salted at fiddling with the insides of my PC but due to some RAM failure and lack of HD space I've recently upgraded both and have now caught the bug. I am now hoping to upgrade to a DX11 compatible card (and have decided upon the GTX460 to fit my budget and requirements). Would the rest of my system be compatible and make it worthwhile purusing that as my next upgrade purchase or are the MOBO and processor really getting a bit old?

Any advice would be very gratefully received,

Many thanks,
Joey B

What make and model is your PSU? Also, what is the total wattage of it?

How good this is depends on whether you can just add the new GPU. On the plus side, you will see a performance increase in the 1GB GTX460 models.

Sorry for the delay, had to open up to have a look. The PSU is made by "Win Power" and has a max output of 650W. I've attached an image of the sticker in case you need any more info. I wouldn't be suprised if its pretty budget as the people who made my computer seem to have skimped elsewhere.

Many thanks,
Joey

Attachments

• PSU.JPG
    PSU.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
My EVGA GTX 460 requires at least 24 Amps on the 12 Volt Rail. Unless I am mistaken, 23 amps just won't be quite enough.

Wait wut, 40A on the 5v line? That's probably a typo, think they meant 4 amps, which should put your combined 12v rail amperage at around 46A, plenty for a single GTX460. I'm no electrician/engineer, just using some common knowledge, so someone correct me if I've made some gross miscalculation somewhere....

My EVGA GTX 460 requires at least 24 Amps on the 12 Volt Rail. Unless I am mistaken, 23 amps just won't be quite enough.

There are dual 12V rails you see. I mentioned 23A on each of the two.

Back