Is it a motherboard problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. I was running a SNES emulator while installing adobe cs2. all of a sudden my screen blanks (but is still on and sending some kind of display). so i shut down my computer via power button. next morning (when i completly forgot about what happened) i turn it on. fans turn on, keyboard lights blink but my monitor stays in standby mode. so i assume its my video card. i swap out my vid. card with a friends and the same thing happens: keyboard lights and fans. so he hooks up a whole array of devices i've never seen before (he's VERY computer knowledgable) and determines that its a mother board problem or CPU problem. i plug in a different 478 p4 and same thing happens, ruling out the cpu problem.

so i'm just wanting to confirm this with all 'yall. does that sound like a MB problem?

And before any of you come asking "what's your motherboard" or "whats your OS", READ THE SPECS!! I've seen many a thread that says in it quite clearly 'I Run WinXP PRO' and posters still ask, 'what OS?'.

cheers,
Jon

Pentium 4 - 2.4 ghz
ASUS P4T533-C Motherboard
Intel 850E Chipset
350 Watt generic PSU
ATI Radeon 8500 ALL-IN-WONDER
Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! Platinum
40 gb system HDD (Maxtor, 7200 rpm)
200 gb storage HDD (Maxtor, 7200 rpm)
Win XP PRO
i850E Chipset

Some clues

mr-bumpy said:
all of a sudden my screen blanks (but is still on and sending some kind of display).
I'm working through a very similar problem (even crashed running an N64 emulator, among other things). Sounds like you (too) are suffering from compound (more than one) problems. I have a Radeon 9800 and am just now learning how piss-poor their cooling is.

Shutting down like that is a "CPU overheating" problem, not video. The BIOS will instantly shutdown the computer to prevent damage due to overheating.... however...

mr-bumpy said:
i plug in a different 478 p4 and same thing happens, ruling out the cpu problem.

It is *possible* the temp sensor was damaged if the previous cpu over heated "too much". What happens if you "under" clock the cpu? Does it suddenly become stable?

If you have and old video card (preferably one so minimal it doesn't need a fan) and see if a few of the problems don't magically go away.

BTW: I'd definitely up that power supply by another 100 to 150 watts.

even if underclocking it would help, i can't do it. the monitor stays in standby meaning it doesn't get any kind of signal from the computer.

"Shutting down like that"

my computer didn't shut down... the monitor went blank but all the fans inside were still running. besides, i would have to be running some PRETTY intensive programs for my cpu to overheat so much that it damages my sensor. i don't overclock at all (would like to though) so my temps stay about average.

nevertheless, thanks for the help.

BTW, i can't afford a better PSU for now. i'm thinkin of getting a nice case with a 410 psu but until then, its my good 'ole 350

mr-bumpy said:
even if underclocking it would help, i can't do it. the monitor stays in standby meaning it doesn't get any kind of signal from the computer.
If the monitor isn't getting a signal, your video card must be fried (even if it's still getting power.. assuming you didn't disconnect anything). :(

(addemdum: I take that back. The MoBo could be fried, though that seems less likely, as it is usually the stuff plugged into it that overheat, not the MB itself.)

Pull it out and clean the contacts with alcohol and a Q-tip. Air dry and re-insert. If that doesn't work, find a card you can put in there to test.

mr-bumpy said:
my computer didn't shut down... the monitor went blank but all the fans inside were still running.
Sorry, figure of speech.

The computer, for all intents and purposes, is "off", even if the power is on, the fans are spinning and the lights are on. Same thing happens to me. Happens when BIOS shuts down from an over-heat.

i mentioned in my first post that i swapped it out with a friend's vid. card.

however, i know of a place that has a really good over-the-coutner warranty and return policy, so imma go there, buy a mobo, have their tech staff install and try it out and go from there.

bla, i wish i had a mac lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back