Is it possible to increase memory on video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I have an Intel740 Compatible Graphics Adapter which has an aprox total memory of 8.0MB. I've recently bought a computer game that needs my video card to have at least 32MB of memory. Is there any place that I can download or add more memory to my video card, or will I have to buy a new one? Thanks to anyone that can help (and I'm pretty computer illeterate so don't make fun of me if this doesn't make sence.)

If a game tells you that you need at least 32mb of video memory, they really mean 64mb.

:D:D:D

i agree. check what type of video card your pc can take (AGP, PCI-E) and buy accordingly. Entry level cards for games should be pretty cheap, just make sure you get above teh 64mb mark. or if you got some spare cash lying around.. get something decent and futureproof...

A 128MB/256MB card should do it for all the games out there. A 6800 GS for AGP, a 7600 GT for PCIe and a FX5500 for PCI(just in case) would be recommended but these r all 256MB.

If you don't know the type of video card that fits in your computer, then just tell us the computer make and model # (ex. Dell Dimension 8200) and we will be glad to help you out. Also how much money can you spend?
Cheers

so I think the computer is an athlon 2000. If I do buy a video card would I need a computer expert or is it easy enough to install myself? Thanks everyone for your help n stuff...

I don't really have much cash.. but i do have parents ;). Yeah i want to be playing the game often it's the sims2 if that makes any difference. And regarding the installing video card do i have to pull out the back of the computer or something? yeah i need a new soundcard too...

you still havent provided enough info on your current hardware.....
we need to know..

how much you're willing to spend
your psu (power supply unit), make and wattage, motherboard model, RAM, etc..
alternatively if its a prebuilt pc, the model number and the maker eg: HP 1120a...
if you have no clue where to find this info download SIW or Everest home and look it up...

putting a new video card is as simple as 6 steps, provided the motherboard does support a vid card:
-unplug power (mains) and cables.
-open up your pc case, destatic yourself (touch the case frame before you touch anything else)
-find the slot that your vid card goes to, note if you have to push a locking mechanism or not before installing.
-phillips head screwdriver remove the pannel that will be for your new vid card
-install vid card securly, lock if needed and dont forget to screw it in and attach power connector if neccesary.
-close case up, connect all cables etc, go to bios and change a few settings, bootup windows and install drivers.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
A 128MB/256MB card should do it for all the games out there. A 6800 GS for AGP, a 7600 GT for PCIe and a FX5500 for PCI(just in case) would be recommended but these r all 256MB.

Coming from someone who's bought the geforce fx5500 PCI, I would not recommend it, it can barely run the games out there, make sure you have a good processor atleast.

treefingers said:
so I think the computer is an athlon 2000. If I do buy a video card would I need a computer expert or is it easy enough to install myself? Thanks everyone for your help n stuff...

We need to know your computer model. Look on the outside of the computer case for a brand and a model #. Athlon 2000 is your processor. Installing a video card is relatively easy....
check this link out....http://www.directron.com/howtovideo.html

so i downloaded SIW and this is the information that got gathered:

Name Windows XP (Professional) Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1.68GHz 256MBRAM

Motherboard
Property Value
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-7DXE
Version 1.x
Serial Number 00000000

Chipset Vendor Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
Chipset Model AMD-761 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge 82C686B PCI to ISA Bridge
SMBus VIA Technologies Inc 82C686B ACPI Power Management Controller @5000

CPU AMD Athlon XP
Cpu Socket Socket A
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 2000 MHz

System Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
Capacity 256 MBytes
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 1536 MBytes
Memory Slots 3
Error Correction None
Error Correction Capabilities None
Name Physical Memory Array
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 512 MBytes

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

is that all that is needed? money wise less than $100(aus)

Yay. information!!

Since you run an AMD.. a lot of people think you should go with nVidia card. (AMD likes nVidia geforce.. Intel likes ATI radeons..) But since you have a tight budget, get a AGP slot card. I'm not sure where u get the best prices in aus.. but i found 2 cards you might want.

http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_D-T44A-RAMG_proddesc_XFX_GeForce_6200_AGP_128MB_T44A-RAMG.html
about $110

http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_D-S-9550-128_proddesc_ATI-Sapphire_Radeon_9550SE_128M_DDR_DVI_TV.html
about
$75

Both cards have 128mb of memory so you'll be fine with them for today's games. (but definately not tomorrows....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back