Is liquid cooled for all computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgreen

I've been hearing about liquid cooling for a computer. Is liquid cooling better than air cooling? If so, why is it better? Is liquid cooling for all computers ? Do only gamers use liquid cooling? Why aren't computers manufactured with liquid cooling?
My new computer was bought in Sept.2005 Can I have someone add liquid cooling to an OEM (Compaq Presario)computer bought at a retail store, while
it is under warranty? With my last computer= the hard drive & power supply burned up, and I never saw the problem coming. Now we are worried.

Liquid cooling is mostly used for overclocking the processor and video card. It works well but is complicated to install and a leak can ruin your system. Its not really for the casual user.

further to that note, most people who think they need water cooling don't really. even some heavy overclocking can be done just fine using air cooling.

Howdy

It also depends on type of proccesor and what you use the system for.
Hard core gaming with a intel prescott OC'd + %25= liquid cooling
Amd's are typically cooler even when oc'd.
check my new specs....

And I would say not to even attempt adding a liquid system to a "smaller" case like almost ANY OEM PC out there. All the water lines, and especially the reservoir and radiator, can take significant space for some models. I think it is Thermaltake who makes a really cool system which fits in your 5 1/4 bay, which both saves space, and gives you external controls! But still...

I personally would be to scared to use one, liquid in my PC just sounds unnatural!

Thanks

Thank You Vigilante. I looked at the Thermaltake Liquid cooling website.
We are very worried about our fan/powersupply quiting again without warning. Our last power supply and drive burned/died - Not a regular fire, but an electrical burn smell & dead computer. If that makes sense.

Yes that makes sense, very likely a capacitor melted inside the PS, very common way for a PS to die. And it can put out some smoke and a nasty smell with it.

Regardless if your system is running hot, that doesn't make your PS work any harder or the fan, until it gets so hot they melt!

Best advice? Just go buy a high-quality Antec power supply, and make sure you have an extra intake fan and an extra exhaust fan in the case. Next monitor your CPU temps, and if necessary, upgrade to an aftermarket heatsink/fan. Such as from Thermaltake, Coolermaster, and so on.

You could EASILY buy a power supply, 2 case fans, and a CPU heatsink/fan for less then a good liquid cooling system. And the liquid system only covers your CPU. The other parts take care of the whole system.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back