Is my Hard Drive going to die soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Maxtor 30gig hard drive. About 2 weeks ago it started making this clicking sound whenever I reset or every so often while I am using the computer & when that happens you know you are in trouble. However I opened up the cpu tower and there was a lot of dust. I got rid of the dust, unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back in. The hard drive worked fine again.

A couple days later, running multiple apps took a while to execute and daily functions were a bit slower than usual. Even running winamp & minimizing the box the song would jolt and stutter for a second. I ran scandisk and it found no errors or bad sectors of any sort & there is no spyware on my system. My computer also goes to virtual memory faster than usual. So any ideas as to why this is happening & should I be acquiring a new hard drive soon?

The following is just a comment really.........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note I bought a Maxtor 20gig hard drive long before the 30 gig one & one day I got bad sectors and my system was slow & just became a mess. I made this drive a slave drive and it works perfectly again & has no bad sectors of any kind. Is it just me and my bad luck with Maxtor Hard Drives? I thought they were good.

get yourself out and buy a seagate retail has 5 yr warranty
load the seagate disc wizard utility and copt to the new drive
remove old drivre replace with seagate ,boot good for over 5 yrs of surfing, gaming
maxtor disc is ready to fail

Go and download the Maxblast utility from Maxtor. Test your drive.

No matter what Samstone says, hard drives from all brands die. And when your new shiny X brand HD croaks after two months then it is little consolation to know that the odds of this happening were less than using brand Y drive.

of course they do thats a gimmy.
always backup. I just support Seagate as the best of all the drives as far as I'm concerned and there software never let me down.
I have got 7 year old scsi's and 4 yr old ide's all seagate all going tough and I beat the H***LL out of them
not to say I haven't fixed and tossed out a few, either.

good luck what ever you purchase,but I would do it soon

My last maxtor was an 80gb, and it clicked a lot. It was a hard, Ka-CLICK type of clicking that happend during boot up or opening new applications. Whenever I reinstalled windows it would fix the problem for a month or so, then start up again.

Powermax software found no errors, but Maxtor still agreed to replace it. The new one had the same problems, heavy clicking. I used the computer for a year like that, and it kept on working for me. Sold the computer just last summer to a friend, and it is still working for him.

The mystery Maxtor click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back