Is my Windows XP dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a bad spot and I don't know what to do. (Not to familiar with computer workings and such)

I have a Dell with Windows XP that is about 4 years old. I had spybot search & destroy on it, and when I updated this program to search for problems, it asked me to restart the computer. I restarted, and now my computer is broken.

When I turn it on, it shows a blue screen that says "The logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I can get into safe mode (don't know what to do with this, if anything). I can't use the 'restore to last good settings' option (just doesn't work). And I have options of pushing F2 or F12.

I do have a lot of stuff on this computer that I would like to save if possible.

Please please please help me! And thanks in advance for help

Thanks for that. Is this the only way to fix it? I was hoping there would be something easier than reinstalling windows. Is there a way I can manually go in and fix a problem without having to reinstall? As for backing up the files, it's gb's upon gb's...

I just went out to SpyBot's site. At least one other person is having the same problem. Many people are reporting problems with it, with installing it, and Spybot with IE7+. This is very unusual for such a good product.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=47121

So far, I do not have an answer for you. Spybot support will probably find something.

If the 2 replies above from Kimsland don't do it for you, my best ADVICE would be to:
1. disconnect from the internet completely. Just remove the wire/cord from your PC or router/modem.
2. go into safe mode. Rename the 11 executables (.exe files) in C:\program files\spybot - search & destroy to .ex ****
3. reboot (still not connected to the internet).

**** You may not have the extensions showing in your view. If you see TeaTimer (not TeaTimer.exe), here's what to do. At the top of the window, in the menu bar, select 'Tools' then 'Folder Options'. Select 'View' tab. UNselect 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Select OK to close the popup window. Then just right click each of the 11 files with extension .exe to rename to something else, but make it uniform (like .ex or .abc or .xyz). You will get a warning that renaming them may cause something to not run. That's ok.

If that works then add back your internet connection and see if you can reboot again. If so you might want to check the above link to see if SpyBot support has an answer. Also, it might be helpful to find out exactly what version of SpyBot you have.

There will be a lot of other things you can do to trouble-shoot; like deinstall SpyBot, change your MSConfig file, do a virus scan, etc. But one step at a time.

Good luck.
Ruthe

Actually I read the first post incorrectly. I thought he said he couldn't get to Safe Mode
And then when I read your reply, I thought better quote the first reply saying he can't !
And when I read it again, I thought, oh he can :/

So that's why I replied again :)

Have you tried booting into safe mode and uninstalling Spybot?

So, try booting into safe mode (arrow keys >safe mode> enter). Then pull up "task manager" (Cntl, alt. delete) click on "process" tab, select "Teatimer.exe" and then "end process". Killing Spybot's resident protection should make the uninstall go more smoothly.

If this is a pre-built machine with "Restore Cds" you could still reinstall Windows without loosing data. The repair reinstall option is still present. It takes about 30 minutes and just reinstalls Windows without reformatting the hard drive. Since a repair install leaves a lot of things in place, I should mention that it's not always an unqualified success, but it's still worth a try nonetheless.

Hiya Captain and Kims! I thought disabling Spybot would be work but maybe helpful for troubleshooting. But it's easier, maybe better, just to deinstall.

Either way, Vijay has several ways to go. Let's see which he picks and his results.

Vijay. Either start with Kimsland's suggestions, follow mine, or deinstall SpyBot. Please let us know what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back