Is There A Way To Trace Activity During Boot Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

Is there a way to examine what has happened during a boot of a computer? Does XP keep a "boot log" ?

I know my CPU is looking for some sort of driver or trying to start a service because all of a sudden boots take forever, and in the middle of them the floppy and CD-ROM drives come on as if WinXP Pro ( 32 bit) is looking for a driver or can't start a service correctly, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Thanks for any help.

This may be the log you're looking for?
Follow these steps ;)

Type MSINFO32.EXE in Start, Run dialog
Click the (+) sign in Software Environment category
Select Startup Programs. System Information will now generate the list of startup entries.
Once the right-pane is populated, click the File menu and choose Export
Type-in a file name (example: startuplog.txt) and choose a location to save the file.
Close MSINFO32 utility.

Thanks. I've got some driver that is taking my boots up into the minutes from what used to be about 45 seconds. I am assuming winidows is attempting to load something because the floppy and CD lights come on multiple times during the boots as though it is looking for something.

Don't forget the Event Viewer under administrative tools in control panel. That will tell you if any driver failed to load or service failed to start.

Thanks to all. Traced it to a parallel port driver or service (can't remember which) issue, which I disabled since my computer does not have a parallel port, but also have the dreaded -126 HID error. So 2 things messing everything up. I think the -126 HID error is the real hold-up during the boot cycle. Unfortunately, I have a USB mouse and only one PS/2 port. I never should have moved away from server-grade boards. :)

Anyone know a quick fix on the -126 HID error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back