Is there limit on # of USB devices into 1 port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper55

Hi all, I have a Dell Latitude CPX650 w/XP Home. My Dell has only 1 USB port in the back, it being of the 1.1 variety but I have been able to use 2.0 hardware to it and they have been compatible w/no problems for 3 years plus. I added a 4-port USB hub and have for the most part used 3 of those ports pretty much all of the time-and occasionally all 4- into my 1 on the back of the Dell for over 1-1/2 years now and also have had no problems. I bought a chill pad here recently that came with a built in 4-port hub in the base. If I connect the 4-port into 1 of the ports on the first 4-port hub, should I expect problems? Is there a rule of thumb or a common practice into how many ports can be extended from or put into 1 port? Thanks guys...

The issue is POWER consumption. Each port is limited to 500ma current draw.
Using a USB hub that has its own power source can escape that limit.

The usual devices that cause problems are Ext HDs (should be obvious; more power to spin the platters).

All USB 2.0 devices are downward compatible to 1.1

Thanks jobeard and SNGX for the replies. This answers my questions and allays my worries about pushing my luck too far. As it is, I use 3 of my ports as I said most of the time and they are for my wireless mouse's receiver stick and for 2 external hdds but they have their own power source for running the drives so I don't believe any power is expended from my port to run those. Now the other 4 ports I added via the chill pad also have their own power source but the 1st 4-port hub was unpowered. Because of this I have changed and made my powered 4- port hub on the chill pad as my main hub and the unpowered 4-port hub as an extension of 1 of my powered ports for when I need extra input ports for additional devices, if and when I need them. For most of my uses 4 ports does me fine, so I believe I should be ok. Thanks again, best to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back