Is this PSU good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killab2oo5

-.-' Looking for a PSU once again.I bought a 480w Antec Neopower only to find out its not good enough for my x1900xtx,and now I must spend my "Orange Box" money on another PSU. Sigh...so...frusterating.But anywhos I was wondering if Cooler Master is a nice brand?I was thinking about getting this 550w Cooler Master.>.> Anyone completely positive that this one will be enough for my pc?Im kinda traumatized and still frusterated from the current problem,and I want to be absolutely sure this PSU will be able to handle everything.My specs are...

--------------------

AMD Athlong 62 (65NM)X2 5000+ 2.60GHz CPU

Windows Vista Home Premium

3GB of DDR2 RAM

400GB 7200RPM

x1900xtx 512mb GDDR3 GPU

Card Reader (SmartMedia/XD,CompactFlash I/II/MD,SD/Mini MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile,MS/PRO,Duo,PRO Duo)

LightScribe DVD SuperMulti Drive/CD-Writer (DVD burner)

2 FireWire ports (None in use)

6USB ports (One in use,router powers itself)

5.1 Audio Channel

--------------------

I guess thats everything.Oh yeah,another concern is the amps.The 550 Cooler Master has 32A on a Dual +12v Rail,the 480 Antec had 34A on a Dual +12vA Rail but heard that PSU actually lose a few amps so its a bit lower.So would the 32A meet the requirements of the 30A for the x1900xtx? =) Thanks in advance.

i have a coolermaster psu similar to that one and i haven't had any problems as far as i know.

as long as the psu has enough amps for your graphics card and enough watts for your setup, you'll be fine. 550w will probably be ok but see what this website thinks you will need. the main thing to think about when buying a psu is your graphics card, it will tell you how many watts and amps it needs then you pertty much just need something to meet the amp requirements and exceed the watt requirement.

Daveskater said:
i have a coolermaster psu similar to that one and i haven't had any problems as far as i know.

as long as the psu has enough amps for your graphics card and enough watts for your setup, you'll be fine. 550w will probably be ok but see what this website thinks you will need. the main thing to think about when buying a psu is your graphics card, it will tell you how many watts and amps it needs then you pertty much just need something to meet the amp requirements and exceed the watt requirement.
Are your specs similar to mine?>.> Im also hoping that 32A will be enough.

i have lower specs than you so i only have a 380W psu but it's from the same series

don't hope that it will be enough, do your research because you don't want to waste any more money than you have to (which is none really)

look up your card on a site such as newegg or the manufacturer's site and see what the amp and watt requirements are. if the psu you want to buy exceeds them (or at least matches the amp rating) then you'll be ok

Lol,I thought the same thing when buying the 480w.ATi calls for 450watts and 30A on a fully loaded system,the Antec PSU had 480watts and 34A and its still not enough.Unless the noise im expereincing from my GPU has nothing to do with my PSU.

if they graphics card needs 450W then it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few more watts on your side but you have no reason to change your psu, as far as i can tell

what sort of noise are you getting?

Daveskater said:
if they graphics card needs 450W then it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a few more watts on your side but you have no reason to change your psu, as far as i can tell

what sort of noise are you getting?
Its a loud squealing noise,like a loud constant whistle.It only happens when I play games,out of Quake Wars,Counter Strike:Source,Half Life 2,Half Life 2:Lost Coast,and FEAR...its loudest in fear.It begins right when I start the game up and go menu.Using FRAPS I noticed the higher the framerate,the louder the sound.In FEARS menus the framerate its 2000fps+.When I play FEAR the frame rate is somewhere around 100fps-150fps on average,sometimes going to 50fps.In CSS menus the FPS is 300 and its more like a low humming/rattle/whistle.Its noticable,but not nearly as loud when in Fear's menus.

EDIT:Its coming from the card,not the speakers,and im sure its not the fan.

i can't think of anything else that it could be other than the fan, i think most newer graphics cards increase the fan speed as the gpu gets hotter

i'd suspect a problem with the card as opposed to the psu so it might be a good idea to see if you can get it replaced under warranty or anything like that

Daveskater said:
i can't think of anything else that it could be other than the fan, i think most newer graphics cards increase the fan speed as the gpu gets hotter

i'd suspect a problem with the card as opposed to the psu so it might be a good idea to see if you can get it replaced under warranty or anything like that
Yea,thats what im aking about.A lot of other people are have the same problem though.

LINK

Searched on google too and read several times that it makes that noise because its not getting enough power.

it does seem like the sound could be coming from a capacitor, if there's someone you could borrow a psu from that's higher specced than yours you could see if it really is the problem. otherwise you could buy another psu and not fix the problem

The NeoPower had only about 22A on the +12V rails combined, so it wasn't enough for your card at all. This is a better buy than that CoolerMaster PSU. It comes with free shipping and is slightly cheaper than the CoolerMaster, plus it provides 32A on the +12V rails combined, so it's enough for your system.

It has about 38A on the +12V rails combined. Not bad. But I'd recommend a single rail PSU since with multiple rails, you might not be supplying each component with the adequate power. This is a much better option and the rebate and free shipping make it all the more attractive. It's of superb quality and highly recommended. It has a single +12V rail delivering 33A so it won't cause any problems at all.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
It has about 38A on the +12V rails combined. Not bad. But I'd recommend a single rail PSU since with multiple rails, you might not be supplying each component with the adequate power. This is a much better option and the rebate and free shipping make it all the more attractive. It's of superb quality and highly recommended. It has a single +12V rail delivering 33A so it won't cause any problems at all.
What if I have a 550w Antec Neo HE?It has 3 +12v rails 18A each and active PFC.Thats also enough to power almost any upgrade I would require in the future.=( I always thought dual/tri rails were always a good thing.Does PFC help stabalize the power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back