Is this video card compatible to my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pika22691

I want to change my video card to a Geforce 8500 GT. I have a emachines model: C3070. Can I use this card? Will I have to use AGP or PCI? If AGP, where is that located?

If it is not compatible, can u give me suggestions for cards that are also inexpensive. Thank you.

8500s are PCIE slots...So that calls for a PCI-E slot...But just my 50 cents...the 8500 sucks lol Do you have a set budget? If so please tell D: And do you know what slots your motherboard has? Can't seem to find info on google

his computer doesn't have a pci-e slot. he only has AGP 4x/8x. which means there are a limited number of cards for him to choose from.

if budget isn't so much of an issue, then DEFINITELY. i repeat. DEFINITELY go for the 7900gs. it will fit your slot, and i found it on newegg for a decent price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150174

if you are looking down into the case, looking at the motherboard, your AGP slot will be on the bottom left near the edge of the motherboard. when you buy your video card, you will be able to tell which slot it will fit in. don't worry. it's easier than it sounds.

if you need any further information, then please ask.

I'd recommend the 7600GS AGP. It's about the same price as the 8500GT and offers a lot more performance.

The 7900GS is better, although I'd look around for an X1950PRO if I were you. If you can't find one that's at about the same price as the 7900GS, then get the 7900GS by all means..

Does the 7600 gs, 7900 gs, and the X1950PRO work with my motherboard?
If I can't get the 7900 gs or the X1950PRO, the 7600 gs is good enough for most games right? Well it is going to be better than the one that i currently have right? I was able to find the 7600 gs at a very cheap price.

just to clarify:

in order of price, the cards are:
7600gs- $80
7900gs- $175
x1950pro512mb- $180

and it just so happens that those are all AGP 4x/8x. and it also just so happens that they are listed in order of performance from least to greatest going from top to bottom, x1950 being the best.

the x1950pro is a stunning card. if at all possible go for it. i only suggested the 7900 because it seemed you were sticking to nvidia graphics.

the 7600 can play a lot of games, and it certainly is going to be better. BUT...it's already beginning to show signs of age. the other two cards, though not as old as the 7600, but still being old models, perform admirably. the x1950 pro was proven to play games as tough on graphics as bioshock and still maintained decent graphics and framerates.

if you want the BEST possible bang for your buck, you know what to go for. but i'm warning you now. if you get the 7600, you'll find that there is much to be desired that it just doesn't have. you're going to end up wishing you had waited and bought a different card, or you're going to end up upgrading again in the near future.

i'd say go for broke, and plan ahead.

Good choice. But make sure you upgrade the PSU first. eMachines have notoriously poor PSUs that will blow easily even when they're slightly overloaded. Get a 500W PSU from Antec, Corsair, CoolerMaster, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Thermaltake, Enermax, Silverstone or FSP Fortron and you'll be fine.

if i get anything higher than 500W nothing bad will happen right? I am not really good in this area of computers. lol

I don't think anything high then a 500W would blow anything o.O of course I don't have any experience with this...

what is usually the price range for PSUs. So far I found a 600W for $40. Also how can I tell how many watts does my current PSU have. I checked the label and it says 300Wmax and another one says 288Wmax.

If you buy a 600W PSU for $40, you're asking for trouble ;) It'll blow and take out your pc before you have time to say "it seems to be working ok"

On your current PSU it will have a sticker and it will tell you the output. Here is an example:
sticker.jpg

You want to find the equivalent of where it says 700W in that picture.

See this list and get a PSU from tier 2 or 3:
Official XS Tiered PSU Manufacturer Brand Listing

This or this would be good PSU's for you. That's also about the sort of price that you want to spend for a 500W PSU, however the first one is 485W but that should be ok. Personally i'd go for the second one, though, i have the 400W Liberty and haven't had any problems with it.

I have one question. For example, if a video card needs 400W and I have a 400W PSU, is that good enough or should I get a PSU that has more watts.
Thanks for the suggestions daveskater.

No problem, mate :)

You will want more than is suggested or your card. This is becaues it will have to power the rest of your pc and this is a minimum recommendation so you would want at very least 450W but they rarely make them (if at all) so 500W would be safe and either of the two I linked you to will suit your needs, unless you want to get something else :) It's entirely your decision :)

oh ok.

so the good PSUs are around $100 right?
Is there any other information that i need to know in order to get a good PSU or is it only the watt number?

Well it depends on how powerful you want it to be, but $100 would be about right for a 500W PSU.

You may need to know what the Amperage rating is on the 12V rail, as most graphics cards requite a certain amount of Amps.

Look for all of the above suggested psu, but one that has 20pin mobo connector or a 20/24pin (that means the 24 pin can be separated into a 20pin and spare 4pin part). Your eMachine needs a 20 pin mobo psu connection. ALL other psu connections will be fine with any psu you choose.

Well, not all PSUs have the same number of cables or types of connectors. Those vary, with more powerful PSUs having more. At the Newegg website many power supplies have the number and types of connectors listed in the technical specifications.

For most average PCs, most PSUs in your wattage range should have the connectors you need but it wouldn't hurt to check. Compare the type of connector your choice of graphics card needs with those supplied by the power supply. For high end PCs with powerful graphics cards, the number of the correct type of connectors are more important, although you can usually use adapters to get what you need.

Edit: kirock beat me to it.

oh ok thx kirock.

do u think this is a good PSU?

ThermalTake / PurePower W0100RU / 500-Watt / ATX 2.0 / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA-Ready / PCI-E Ready / Power Supply

oh thx mailpup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back