Is upgading like reformating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaUnknown

Sorry for the title error, i mean upgrading . Im at school and in a hurry.

Ok if you check my other post you will find that i am in need of a reformat. But i thought about it, i wish to upgrade instead to windows xp media center. Is this somewhere near reformatting, as in all files are gone and the PC is like it was when i 1st bought it(Fast and not pain giving). And another question, if i do this is there a way to keep my itunes music? Everything else could go. So to wrap it up my computer is very slow, it is a hp, and i want to completely start over from how it was when i first got it. The only way to get it like its new is reformatting so i considered it. I dont have the restoration CD. So have decided to upgrade to media center. Would the computer be as good as new then like all files gone. And is there a way that i could possible copy the songs from my ipod to the new itunes on my computer when i upgrade. Im sorry that i have such horrible skills when it comes to technology, but that is what these forums are for right?

When reinstalling Windows over a current partition it will erase all the data on that partition, perform a chkdsk, lay down a new file structure and then begin installing the new operating system. All data is lost.

Fortunately, it is very easy to back up anything you care to. Either burn what you want to keep to CD's/DVD's or toss your files on a flash drive/another HDD or partition your current HDD.

Check out something like iPodRip to extract data off your iPod.

Upgrading leaves your files intact, so you iTunes stuff will still be there. It may take care of your speed problems depending on what is actually causing them. If its a corrupt file somewhere in the OS, upgrading will overwrite that file. If its caused by 3rd party stuff then upgrading won't fix it because that problem will still be there (it didn't get anything reset).

Something similar

By upgrading, often programs fail to work properly, and need to be reinstalled... so in that way, sometimes upgrading is about the same amount of work as reinstalling. However you get to keep the data.

If you can back up your data, often its a cleaner install to wipe clean and go with a fresh install. But losing data is the issue usually, personal files, plus programs and their keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back