Is XP for life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

I'm a longtime and active user of windows 2000 - I use two pcs, one for games and films, and the other for more mundane stuff like internet, printing etc.
Yesterday, I was offered a secondhand copy of windows xp and given that xp is a little more flexible than W2K, I told the buyer that I might be interested but need to clear one or two things up-

1) is it true that xp HAS to be registered?

2) can I install the same os on my two computers?

3) only one of my computers is hooked up to the net as I don't want both computers filled to the hilt with numerous drivers and internet related software so the games computer wont be able to access the web - would I have a problem with this?

4) I've been told that microsofts policy is one pc, one xp operating system for life - this being the case, should I actually be buying secondhand?

1) Individually bought XPs (regular and OEM alike) have to be registered.
If you get it with a new PC, like a Dell, you can, but don't have to, as Dell etc. have a so-called volume-license.

2) You can, but without registering, they will both stop working after 30 days.
Re-installing from scratch every 30 days is not a viable option.

3) Not being hooked up to the internet means, you don't get any updates.

4) You can install any OS an any PC.
If you have one XP (let's say with registration code 123), install that and register it, fine.
Get another XP (say with reg-code 456), you can install that on the PC with XP-123 on it, provided you wipe the PC first and do a clean install from scratch.
When registering XP-456 it will look like another PC to MS, even if it is the same hardware.

(But why would you want to buy TWO heaps of sh.., one is bad enough already).

Stay with Windows 2000 (like me). A whole load less problems, and SP5 is in the making already, so W2K will be supported for a while to come yet.

If windows 2000 does everything you need, then don't bother upgrading. Personally, I find WinXP much better than win2k, as it offers better compatability with most hardware aimed at home users (win2k isn't marketed at the home user). Windows XP will give you less problems overall than windows 2000 (e.g. better hardware detection and memory management), but it isn't a must have upgrade.

The reason why I wanted to upgrade is because I miss playing games from the beginning from time like tie fighter, sam n max etc but it can be an hassle with w2k.
I gather that xp has an easier time of it but if upgrading entails additional complications, no way jose - lifes already complicated enough!
Thanks for the advice people, looks like I'll be sticking with w2k.

What you COULD do, is buy this 2nd-hand XP, provided you get the official certificate with it, and install it ONLY on the games-PC, that is not connected to the internet.
(You can phone MS to register it, no need to do it online)
You will not be vulnerable because you have no Internet access. If you go this way, do install SP1 but stay away from SP2.

Have you thought about Vmware or Microsoft Virtual PC and install Windows 98 in a Virtual system to play the games?

You can download trial versions of both that way you can test them to see if they meet your needs.

Originally posted by vega
The reason why I wanted to upgrade is because I miss playing games from the beginning from time like tie fighter, sam n max etc but it can be an hassle with w2k.
Check from NT Compatible's database if those games are reported to work and how.

I can't think of any Microsoft OS for consumers which license would allow installing it to more than one computer.

Originally posted by jstillion
Have you thought about Vmware or Microsoft Virtual PC and install Windows 98 in a Virtual system to play the games?
VMWare and Virtual-PC do not support Direct-X, so you can forget about running most games on them. There is no video acceleration.

I was'nt aware that you could register by phone but if windows xp exceeds the performance of w2k, then it looks like an upgrade is on the books, on the other hand, if the improvement is only marginal or cosmetic, then I'll be sticking with w2k as paying a wad of cash for an item which offers only a slight improvement is poor economy, I might as well invest in more memory, faster processor etc and given that my w2k has performed superbly over the two years, chances are, I'll be hanging onto this babe, after all - if it aint broke yadda yadda yadda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back