Java installation, use, and uninstallation problems

monkeychef23

Over the past few days, I have had many problems with Java.

These problems started when I tried to play an online game called minecraft (easy to play and so simple, its fun). The box for the game (using java) never showed up. It was odd because I had never had the problem. My immediate reaction was to uninstall Java, and then reinstall it.

While uninstalling I got error 1723, which lead me to believe there was a problem with Windows Installer, which I found it did not have. I got this error multiple times. In my frustration I decided to go into my program files folder and delete the entire Java directory, even though I knew it would only make matters worse.

After deleting the directory, I tried my luck at reinstalling Java. Sadly, no luck. I am now unable to use Java, and I am unable to play or host a server for Minecraft.

Any help on fixing this problem is much appreciated. thanks in advance.

You should give us more info:
> like your computer make/model
> What version of Windows is installed? And what Service Pack (SP) level?
> Have you run and installed all the latest Windows updates?

Yes, I was going to say the same thing, but LookinAround reacted first. At best, post your system specs in your CP as provided for by the board, which can also be used for reference if you need help again in the future.

Now as regards installing/uninstalling Java, you can try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, which was designed to solve uninstallation problems of programs that use the Windows Installer technology. It looks up registry references and files related to Windows Installer that were installed by various programs, and forcibly wipes invalid entries out. It works in all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. After you’ve cleared your computer of troublesome Java leftovers that also hamper re-installation, you can then install the latest Java version.

You can get the utility from Microsoft or here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml

Sorry guys, I knew I forgot something. Thanks for the quick replys.

I built own computer, so these are the main specs. Windows and all drivers are fully updated.

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q 8200@ 2. 33
- Gigabyte EP 45- UD 3R
- 4gb Mushkin DDR2
- EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX +
- Win7 Home Premium 64

Ill try the program in the morning and see how that works. Thanks again.

Alright, the first box that came up after installing the Windows Install Cleanup Utility was that I needed to remove and reinstall a bunch of programs. I looked through the list and only found the Java auto updater. I removed it afterward and then tried to reinstall Java.

During setup a message "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?" comes up. I know this means that Java has not been completely wiped from my computer, but I try to reinstall it anyway. Then a windows installer error comes up saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Now this is driving me in circles because Java recognizes a file on my computer, but my installer shows it sees nothing relating to Java.

A tough one, typical of real life vs theory. Yet, the Windows Install Cleanup Utility was specifically developed for cases like yours, as also seen from its description. Unless the Utility doesn’t do its job as claimed by MS, I deduce that in the list of items produced by it there is more belonging to Java than just the auto updater, though it may not be easily recognizable as such. So have another careful look. After you have excluded all items obviously belonging to other programs, you can arrive at a short list of suspects, which you can investigate by googling to find out what they belong to.

If you don’t succeed and want to also try other tools, you can run a registry cleaner. There are many and of varying thoroughness in finding bad registry entries. But these tools have a smaller chance of success, and if you use a particularly aggressive one, you risk also deleting potentially useful items. That’s why I didn’t recommend them in the first place. But running a conservative one like CCleaner shouldn’t do any harm, so you lose little if you just try it. If, on the other hand, you want to use a more effective one, make a registry backup first.

Needless to add, as you seem to know it only too well, that programs should never be uninstalled by deleting their folders.

So I ran the Glary Utilities registry cleaner, and that did get rid of a lot of errors, but i consistently have one problem. Now I am running Ccleaner to see what happens.

After I used Glary Utilites (I ran the program about 6-7 times) I tried a reinstall. Same result. Ill post the Ccleaner results in a little while.

UPDATE:
CCleaner ran a few times (4-5) and same result. Any other ideas anyone?

Are you comfortable doing a registry delete using REGEDIT? (Be sure to create a system restore point first in any case or even create a backup clone of your hard drive if you want to be extra cautious)

Look through this thread, in particular, post #6

You could try the script in thread or just do manual deletes. If you're not comfortable doing them (or don't know how) post back and we can be more specific with instruction.

/* edit */
If you want (or prefer) i can also give you simple command that will first dump appropriate registry keys to a file you could attach to a post so we can first take a look before you delete anything. Tho probably not able to post it till sometime tomorrow

/* edit */
Just to add, i never used and don't warrant the script. But the registry keys mentioned in the post look about right what i'd expect so could manually look at yours if you want to wait and then dump them first for review

Back