John Cena could play Duke Nukem in upcoming movie

midian182

Staff member

If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Or, as is the case with Hollywood’s attempt to make a high-quality video game movie, keep on trying no matter how many critically panned productions get churned out. Could a live-action version of Duke Nukem starring former WWE Champion John Cena break the long-running trend? According to the Hollywood Reporter, the ex-wrestler is in talks to play the politically incorrect hero.

While no director has been attached to the project, it is reportedly being produced by Platinum Dunes, the company run by Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller that was behind the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies and the Purge franchise. The Duke Nukem title is supposed to be a “starring vehicle” for Cena, and the search for a writer is now underway.

Duke Nukem 3D was incredibly popular when it was released back in 1996, but after fifteen years in development hell, the 2011 sequel, Duke Nukem Forever, was a disaster.

In all fairness, John Cena does sound like a good candidate for the role. Duke Nukem is seen as a bit of relic from another age these days, but the movie could play up to this fact in a comedic way. It’s just a surprise that The Rock wasn’t put forward for the part—maybe the awfulness that was Doom is still fresh in his mind.

No video game movie adaptations have received Rotten Tomato or Metacritic scores of over 50 percent, though international audiences often help boost their box office takings.

In other video game movie news, two new Tomb Raider TV spots have appeared ahead of its release in March.

And speaking of The Rock, check out the new trailer for Rampage, which is based on the 1986 arcade game.

Permalink to story.

As much as I detest Michel Bay. Actually I think he would probably do a good job making a Duke Nuk'em movie.

Hollywood is clearly running out of ideas.

I know there have been a number of movies made based off of successful computer games, but I can't think off the top of my head if any have been worth watching. Maybe the Resident Evil movies, but those have been barely mediocre at best. The bulk of them have been total garbage.

Will this be coming straight to Netflix or will I have to wait six months before it comes up on Netflix and I don't watch it??

I just don't think the newer generations get or appreciate the comedy from the days of DN 3D... So I just don't see this being a success. But who knows, maybe it could be funny.

I think Hulk Hogan would be a better option though to play Duke.

Hollywood is clearly running out of ideas.

I know there have been a number of movies made based off of successful computer games, but I can't think off the top of my head if any have been worth watching. Maybe the Resident Evil movies, but those have been barely mediocre at best. The bulk of them have been total garbage.

The first Mortal Kombat wasn’t too shabby either.

In regards to Cena being in the a Duke Nukem movie I’m not sure if it’s possible. The audience won’t be able to see him.

Isn't Hollywood still playing the "MeToo/I was a prostitute" game and now they want to make a film about... the womanizer of all womanizers?

Somebody should break a broom handle off in your *** if you think this is going to turn out well.

Funny to see some of the fake wrestling guys trying to cross over to movies in order to make big bucks. So far the only one who has any acting talent is The Rock. This Cena guy is a joke and couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. At any rate, the movie will probably be a huge flop, the same as 99.99% of all movies based on a video game, even if they find a better actor.

Maybe by "John Cena could play Duke Nukem" they meant that he might just be playing the video game in the movie and the movie itself will be totally different. Well, at least one can hope, right?

I think he could play this part, only way this movie succeeds is to make this as over the top and as sexist as the original 3D in the 90's .........or really just don't make this movie.

Just give me more Ryan Renyolds..... Deadpool not Green Lantern

I don't care who plays him as long as he is beating the **** outta those that threaten us

As much as I detest Michel Bay. Actually I think he would probably do a good job making a Duke Nuk'em movie.
The problem isn't bay, the problem is it will be made so teens can watch the film, which will seriously water down Duke.

Back