John Deere provides some right-to-repair concessions to customers

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
What just happened? John Deere finally caved, offering its customers some rights to repair and fix their expensive equipment however they like. There's a catch, though: if state or federal right-to-repair laws go into effect, the concessions are no more.

In a hypothetical list of companies willing to go the extra mile to lock their customers in, John Deere would place among the most serious offenders. The US corporation makes agricultural machinery and other heavy equipment, then it locks the final products so that customers will not be able to repair them without going through an authorized dealer.

Things could change soon, however, as the Illinois-based corporation has entered an agreement with American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) to make some much-sought concessions to the right-to-repair movement.

AFBF and John Deere have signed a memorandum of understanding, addressing "a long-running issue for farmers and ranchers when it comes to accessing tools, information and resources."

The memorandum states that John Deere will provide software, tools, manuals and other documentation to both farmers and third-party repair shops. This way, end customers should be free to choose where to fix their tractors and heavy machinery, while John Deere's software, copyright and trade secrets will not be compromised or hacked in any way.

According to David Gilmore, John Deere senior VP, the agreement "reaffirms the longstanding commitment Deere has made to ensure our customers have the diagnostic tools and information they need to make many repairs to their machines." That is pretty much what JD has avoided doing until now, as the company is well know for its anti-DIY stance and its ability to remotely disable farm equipment like it did at the beginning of the Russia-Ukraine war.

The memorandum is the culmination of several years of discussions between AFBF and John Deere, and it formalizes farmers' access to diagnostic and repair codes, manuals (operator, parts, service) and product guides. Furthermore, the company commits to "engaging with farmers and dealers to resolve issues when they arise," and agrees to meet with AFBF representatives at least twice per year to evaluate progress.

The AFBF says the memorandum signed by John Deere could be a model for other manufacturers the lobbying group is already in discussion with - a true step in the right direction, at least on paper. But the memorandum also says that AFBF and John Deere can withdraw from the agreement if any right-to-repair legislation becomes a state or federal law.

AFBF will actively work to avoid introduction, promotion or support for right-to-repair legislation by its own state organizations, while the right-to-repair movement is slowly becoming a major political issue throughout the US.

Permalink to story.

Sounds like a PR stunt, a "look, we're doing something, you don't need to take right to repair seriously anymore" move. And the media has, without digging deeper, called it a win.

At least Louis asked someone who actually uses said equipment before saying anything...

Sounds like a PR stunt, a "look, we're doing something, you don't need to take right to repair seriously anymore" move. And the media has, without digging deeper, called it a win.

At least Louis asked someone who actually uses said equipment before saying anything...
I feel like the media is afraid to over criticize these failures in right to repair for fear of being considered bias. Fact of the matter is that it is the media's job to accurately report on the failures of governing bodies and those who influence them

I feel like the media is afraid to over criticize these failures in right to repair for fear of being considered bias. Fact of the matter is that it is the media's job to accurately report on the failures of governing bodies and those who influence them
Imagine the media being afraid of being considered biased against scumbag corporations.....

The absolute state of the media.

Imagine the media being afraid of being considered biased against scumbag corporations.....

The absolute state of the media.
I think the major issue is that people jump too quickly to conclusions. If you criticize a democrat you're automatically a republican or if you criticize a republican you're automatically a democrat. Meanwhile, regardless of party they should be reported as a sh*tty politician if they do sh*tty things.

Instead of the media initiating a conversation about how said politician is screwing people over they ignite an argument in the comments section where people flame them and say things like, "oh, you're just a pissed off *insert literally any politicians name* supporter!"

And, frankly, I think a lot of that is "our" fault. We have willingly dumbed ourselves down to the point where we have monkey knife fights on instinct rather than meaningful conversations. I've talked to some writers who say even if they try to accurately report something the commenters subvert the narrative and complete change the conversation. So what do they do? They write a generic article that gives a general idea that something is going on to avoid getting flamed.

"the agreement "reaffirms the longstanding commitment Deere has made to ensure our customers have the diagnostic tools and information they need to make many repairs to their machines."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have already been here

We have already heard the commitments Deer has made to its customers long ago

And we still have nothing but words Mr wordsworth!

The whole agribusiness model revolves around who can be the biggest corporate scumbag. Scum like Deere only get away with what gutless scumbag politicians let them.

Considering how constant the breakdowns of farm equipment is; this should't be a thing snyway; you buy it; you should be allowed to fix it yourself.

I think the major issue is that people jump too quickly to conclusions. If you criticize a democrat you're automatically a republican or if you criticize a republican you're automatically a democrat. Meanwhile, regardless of party they should be reported as a sh*tty politician if they do sh*tty things.

Instead of the media initiating a conversation about how said politician is screwing people over they ignite an argument in the comments section where people flame them and say things like, "oh, you're just a pissed off *insert literally any politicians name* supporter!"

And, frankly, I think a lot of that is "our" fault. We have willingly dumbed ourselves down to the point where we have monkey knife fights on instinct rather than meaningful conversations. I've talked to some writers who say even if they try to accurately report something the commenters subvert the narrative and complete change the conversation. So what do they do? They write a generic article that gives a general idea that something is going on to avoid getting flamed.
The Media is responsible for pushing this narrative, when is the last time you heard of the media actually investigating anything without major political bias? They engaged in hate clicks by promoting partisan views instead of doing actual journalism because, you know, money, and now its all that sells because nobody that values the real story listens to them anymore. It wasnt like this when I grew up. The trust in the media the last 20+ years has been utterly demolished.

Any media outlet worth their salt would be calling out john deere for their deceptive statements and their anti consumer BS.

Your comments are pretty funny. When it's something you like it's all "how dare they criticize such and such!" but when it's something you're against "oh they're afraid to criticize such and such".

Your comments are pretty funny. When it's something you like it's all "how dare they criticize such and such!" but when it's something you're against "oh they're afraid to criticize such and such".
I didn't know I was against right to repair, thank you for making me aware of that.

Back