Just About that time of year

AMDIsTheBest010

hey eveybody:

well, the holidays are just around the corner, and they will be here before you know. I cant wait until we get some snow, and im trying to get the Xmas lights up this week. Im goin all out this year with decorations and lights. what do you and your family do for the holidays?

just thought it would be fun to find out what everybody else did for the holidays. Im going to my grandparents for thanksgiving and christmas, and i'll probably just stay home for New Years.

...AMD

Gonna be a different holiday season for me this year. This'll be my first season as a single parent and I move into my new house the begining of December. So I probably won't do a lot of decorating, just enough to keep my 4 year old happy.

I'm going to my Aunts for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. Go to my parents house on Christmas day. Even though I'm 32 "Santa" still seems to stop by my folks house every Christmas! For New Years I'll probably stay home and shoot some peeps on Counter Strike. :)

It's not even Halloween!!!!!! You can't put Christmas lights up until at least Thanksgiving. Well you can obviously but that is so wrong...... /sigh

I'm going all out on decorations this year too. Right now I'm still in the troubleshooting/debugging of the Christmas lights, but hopefully by December i'll have a few strings working. :)

It may not be much, but I'm going to celebrate halloween by watching charlie brown, and the pumpkin patch. I hear it's a full hour tonight, and there's another episode, than the one i've been seeing for a long time. (maybe it's over for the people on the east coast, though, i'm still waiting, 1 more hour, and counting)
next, can't wait till daylight savings time, (US only):giddy:
For me, it is the true beginning of fall.

yes, i agree i like DST as well, since it truly does kick off the holiday seasons.

Next friday November 3, im goin to see the santa claus three with my friends, even though we're all in high school, its still a classic movie to see. I know its only halloween, but i love Xmas, so i decorate early.

..AMD

Well, have you heard, DST, is going to start earlier next year, and it will end later.
Will this really conserve power?
Oh well, i'll just have to start celebrating later:(

BTW, has anyone thought of putting up halloween decorations, if your in the US?

confused001 said:
It may not be much, but I'm going to celebrate halloween by watching charlie brown, and the pumpkin patch. I hear it's a full hour tonight, and there's another episode, than the one i've been seeing for a long time. (maybe it's over for the people on the east coast, though, i'm still waiting, 1 more hour, and counting)
next, can't wait till daylight savings time, (US only):giddy:
For me, it is the true beginning of fall.

It's probably ended at least an hour before you posted. Thank God I get an extra hour of sleep on my birthday, Sunday!

confused001 said:
Well, have you heard, DST, is going to start earlier next year, and it will end later.
Will this really conserve power?
Oh well, i'll just have to start celebrating later:(

BTW, has anyone thought of putting up halloween decorations, if your in the US?

Eh, I don't really celebrate halloween. I think it's a really strange holiday to begin with. Since when do we worship the devil? Maybe I'm a tad bit over religous though.

Turkey day, o turkey day, what would I do, without you?????!!!!????
Yes holidays are fine, but the food is finer still!!!

Halloween.. originally it was All Hallow's Eve or All saints day or something which like every other pagen celebration been largely taken out of context.. (or maybe not.. something to do with the dead?). Guess its just seeing what particular reason you're celebrating it in..

my family don't really follow halloween.. although if there is any chocolates (or any other sweets) you won't hear any complaints from me :D:)

don't have thanksgiving down here in Oz, or its probably not told out much, but any excuse to rip out the BBQ and consume a truckload of food, host a feast and party hard is still a good excuse.......

Our DST for the NSW area moves our clocks forward, so we loose one hour, which i'm not in particularly looking forward to... although you're right. Probably near my birthday it will move back a bit :)

As for christmas, its gonna be hectic for me this year.. if i'm not finishing constructing my new desk for my room i'll be working my **** off getting some cash for my USA + round the world trip next year.. and that excludes spying on people to work out what they want for christmas prezzies..

Blakhart said:
Yes holidays are fine, but the food is finer still!!!
Amen.

Hey, though it is a celebration for some dead people, i find it fun, just to cut open a pumpkin, and put a smily face on it:)
Do you austrialians have DST too?

I like halloween, not for the death part, but becuase its a fun holiday. practically everyone in my community decorates, and participates in beggars night for the little kids.

DST starts in 6hours here(Ohio)

...AMD

People don't celebrate halloween for the death part.
It's basically a tradition, where we all grew up in, and took part in, and we are trying to pass it down to future generations.
Have you encountered any naughty kids before, on halloween?

No, people just like the fireworks and costumes, and kids love it for trick-or-treating. I think its a bit wrong, because all year round you tell kids, Dont knock on strange houses, dont talk to strangers and dont accept sweets from strangers. oh Well

Plus, some people do celebrate the death part, ever been to Mexico. Their 'Dia de los Meurtos' (something like that- Day of the Dead) is the same time as Haloween, but theirs is more Aztec, everyone dresses up as skeletons eats sugar skulls and have a massive party. They think 'death happens, why be sad, be HAPPY (and drunk).'

I was priveliged enough to experience it last year. It was insane (in a good way).

Halloween.. i think most of us western people have lost that part of the meaning of halloween, although role playing/dressing up as monsters and fictional characters probably comes close to it (dead, undead, magic, skeletons etc) but hey.. kids have fun and some after consuming a great amount of sweets get a toothache if they're not careful :D.

Its either that me and my friends just plain grown out of it by now (and that we don't give it much of a notice anyways) but so far its looking like its going to be just another day for me.. and its less than a day away now.. but don't worry, the chocolates will be eaten and various foods and beverages consumed :D

although i do love the irony of halloween and education in Finchy's post :)
Good call.

We have DST here, but only for the eastern coast states (NSW, ACT, Victoria) except for Queensland.. they think they're special....... (kidding :))

Back