Just bought HP 318xi DIGITAL CAMERA

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

I just bought the HP 318xi Digital Camera off of EBAY.

Anyone own this model or has used it?

Looks to be pretty nice. It is 2.3 megapixel, up to 1800x1200 resolution images, comes with carrying case, tripod, etc., and is brand new. Got it for $109.95 ($131.95 after 2 day shipping).

Here is the link for the EBAY auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30005&item=2921549816&rd=1

If you've used this camera before let me know what you thought. Thanks.

I know that a lot of digital camera users prefer an optical zoom in comparison to a digital zoom (which is kinda the same as resizing an image in Photoshop). Other than that it looks like a very good deal for the price you got it for, especially with a resolution of 1800x1200.

The major thing that I was interested in when buying a camera was the size of the unit. Basically I would only carry a camera if I knew I was going somewhere to take photos, but with my current digi I can put it in my jeans pocket without it bulging much. I'm very happy with it except the view finder is a little bit off if your not using the screen to take the photo, but I've gotten used to that.

My camera, Minolta Dimage X,
84.5 x 72 x 20 mm
1600x1200 max res, super fine setting 5.5mb per picture uncompressed TIFF. Nice since I never really took many photos before but since I can take it everywhere I do now :)
minolta_dimagex.jpg

My Dad has that HP camera. Its pretty nice. I've used it a little when he first got it. It takes good pics but it is rewally more than what he needed because he generally only prints 4"x6" prints and my much cheaper Vivitar digi cam looks just as good at that size. Though I don't have the zoom and the option of larger sized prints that are very crisp is nice as well.

Arris, does that camera have a lot of features? I like the sleakness of it. I have been looking for a while, but am unsure of what i want. After seeing the one you have I like the look, but am curious about the added features. Ease of menus, etc. Any more information from a personal review would be nice, instead of all these big reviews by companies, also battery life.

Hm, as far as image size I want the largest image I can get because I'm not just going to use it for taking regular pictures of friends or anything like that. I mean I *am* going to use it for that ;-), but I also do a lot of graphics so I need a pretty decent image resolution.

I'm kinda wondering what size of memory card I'm going to need .. hmm comes with 8mb but that is just NOT enough..

Poertner,
I'm very happy with the camera, although they do have a 3.2 megapixel version out with a 1 second start up time. The battery life isn't too bad but with all of these units using the screen to take pictures runs the battery down pretty quick. Using the viewfinder only it has one of the best battery life spans ever. Really quite impressive. The menus all function like drop downs, something like windows start menu. You use the zoom button and forward and back buttons (used to view the photos) to navigate the menu. It also has a limited 35 second movie record function + sound (.mov). I remember seeing a panasonic camera the same size that actually only limited the movie that it could record by the amount of available memory which would have been a nice extra feature.

The optics are mounted vertically in a strange periscope arrangement. I've read some reviews that aired worries about the image losing clarity by being reflected down the "periscope" but having seen many digital pictures taken by fuji, canon and other makes of more standard design units, I'd have to say I haven't noticed any problems with the image quality.

I have 128mb card in the camera just now. Full quality 1600x1200 pictures limit me to ~20 pictures, but to the other end of the range, the smallest resolution on economy mode allows about 1000+ photos. Usually I sit one down from the highest quality setting and resolution (12which allows over 100 photos.

Feature wise it has a reasonable selection of flash options from nighttime, standard, red eye reduction, none. Has a timer, can set it to take continuous pictures (hold button down to keep taking pictures). You can add audio comments about each photo, use it to record up to 30 mins of sound (depending on memory card used). There are probably other functions that I haven't used but I'm not a tremendous photographer, I just needed something compact to help me get into it. All the pictures of my PC and others are taken with this camera, unfortunately since I don't have my own server they are usually resized in paintshop pro to meet upload restrictions so may lose some quality/definition. For some samples of a poor quality cameraman taking pictures check out my pc photos here

Here's a link to the new and improved version of my camera the Xi
http://www.dimage.minolta.com/xi/index.html

And the even newer Xt with extended movie function (looks even slicker too)
http://www.dimage.minolta.com/xt/index.html

Poertner if you have any other questions of want some full quality samples PM or mail me and I can mail you some pics... ;)

Thanks Arris, I am definately intersted now. Of course the next big problem is coming up with the money for it :(

Everything looks pretty nice and compact (which is key).

Paypal needs to hurry up and transfer my money to my PayPal account. I want my digicam hehe. (suppost to be ready by the 16th).. ahhhhh!

That can't be that bad, it is only a day few days away. It sucks when something should be there and it isn't.

I rebuilt a totaled 2001 Blazer Xtreme last year and it's been sitting in my garage for 4 months now waiting for the stupid department of transportation to change the title to my name. I want to drive it so bad, it SUCKS!!!! Just be patient, I know it can't get there fast enough.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Thanks Arris, I am definately intersted now. Of course the next big problem is coming up with the money for it :(
Everything looks pretty nice and compact (which is key).

Yeah, when I bought mine at hugely inflated UK prices I payed the best part of £400! :eek:

Glad I did though, its been a joy to own.

I just bought a 256MB compactflash memory card for the digital camera. With this camera if I took ALL my images at 1800x1200, does anyone know about how many pics I could take at this resolution? Also, how about the other settings?

Originally posted by Arris
... with my current digi I can put it in my jeans pocket without it bulging much ...
And who said size doesn't matter?

Acid, as regards the number of pics you can take, at max quality each pic is about 1MB for the 318Xi, and you have 3 quality settings available. You can find out more by downloading the manual here ...

HP 318Xi User Manual

Arris, I decided to go ahead and do it, I bought that camera off of ebay...got a decent deal on it considering the price of others going around it. I'll let you know how I like it.

Nice one Poert. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. One of the reviews I read was by a professional photographer who said it wasn't the worlds best camera but for the size of it, he would consider having it as a small backup :D

That Minolta sure is tiny, and with a 3x optical zoom built in you can't fail to be impressed. I'd probably have bought one too if I didn't already have a digital camera. The whole point in having a 'compact' is so that you'll carry it around, and I rarely take mine out with me as its considerably larger. :cool:

Arris,I just bought a Dimage7 and the larger the res your compacity drops way down.I think in normal mode(best Quality)64 megs,I can take like 60 shots on one compact flash,when I go to "RAW" mode It drops down to like 8 and it takes forever to process the pic.Dont know what card you use but it makes a difference so be sure to get the better card.(dont skimp).

I got my 256mb card in the mail the other day and I am able to fit about 3500pics at low quality and 250 at high quality (1800x1200). Woot! :)

Originally posted by acidosmosis
I got my 256mb card in the mail the other day and I am able to fit about 3500pics at low quality and 250 at high quality (1800x1200). Woot! :)

Don't forget to post some beautiful pix for us to see!

Oh wait, I actually went to an airshow the other day.. the bad thing is it was right before I received my new 256mb memory card so I had to take the pics at the low quality setting. You may find the pics that I took interesting though.

Hmm... those pics are on geocities....lol..

Lemme put those pics up on my webspace account at work tomorrow ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back