Kapture wristband records the last minute of audio with a simple tap

Shawn Knight

Staff member

kickstarter kapture voice recording

Talk. Tap. Share. That’s the motto behind a new project on Kickstarter called Kapture, an always-on wristband that allows users to save and share the last 60 seconds of audio it records. With a simple tap, the past minute is captured and synched to your smartphone via Bluetooth.

Kapture isn’t intended to be the next James Bond spy gadget but rather a handy piece of wearable technology that lets you capture life’s little moments as they happen. Examples include storing funny, insightful or heartwarming phrases but the possibilities here are limitless.

Once a clip is captured, it’s sent to the Kapture app on your smartphone. From here, it can be edited down, renamed and even have a photo attached to it much like you can do with video for Instagram. Should you not have your smartphone handy when a recording is captured, it will be stored on the wristband for synching later. We’re told that roughly 25 records can be stored locally.

Legally speaking, Kapture presents a unique situation as 12 states have what’s known as a two-party consent law. This means that one person in a conversation must notify others in a conversation that a recording is taking place. But since Kapture doesn’t actually record audio until the users taps it, a recording doesn’t technically exist and no laws are broken.

Kapture launched on Kickstarter earlier today with a goal of raising $150,000 over the next month. It’s off to a solid start with more than $8,000 in pledges from more than 80 backers as of writing. An investment of $75 is all that’s needed to be one of the first to receive the wristband. The project has an estimated delivery date of March 2014.

Permalink to story.

Honestly I think this would be cool if it had a 3.5mm output jack, so it was a multi-function device, a recorder and type of wristband for your ipod without having to actually strap your ipod to your arm.

This sounds pretty useless I could see it being used by a small market it would be bigger if it was a 5min capture instead of 1min.

In those 12 states, you would only need to let someone know they were being recorded if there were a reasonable expectation of privacy. In public, there is no such expectation.

$75?! Oh god. What a waste of money. It's ugly, and once people know what it does they'll be careful what they say around you (assuming they want to be around you at all), and it's ugly.

It's good if you want to catch people in lies, or talking crap about someone, but eventually you'll be found out, and the thing will sit in a drawer for eternity.

I can only see nagging wives and girlfriends getting this to capture every word you say to use against you in an argument.
Also, again, admins, please check your captcha provider, go through another security media or tell them they cray. Security is one thing, typing a novel to post a comment is another.

I once installed a custom ROM for my android phone which included a call recorder. I enjoyed using it for awhile. There is nothing like proving to yourself that you aren't going crazy by replaying a call and confirming what was said. I would only consider buying this if it was more discrete and it could stream constantly to your phone.

I'm also glad I'm not in a state that requires consent of others to record a conversation. What a BS law. Even though Windig0 states that the law only applies if there is reason to believe privacy was expected, I don't want it left to some judge to determine what a reasonable expectation of privacy is. Although I'd really love to see the advancement of technology to the point where images and audio can be extracted from human memory, I can't possible fathom that being possible in my lifetime. I wouldn't be shocked but I still can't actually fathom it. I'd also highly anticipate comical legislature outlawing the remembrance of a memory without consent of all parties involved. It would be a truly natural evolution to the current consent law.

Now every time I find an audio log in a game that was recorded just before that character died, I'll pretend that they were using one of these.

Back