Keyboard acting funny

I called ABS computer technical assistance and apparently they only have weekday support and can't help me until Monday.

On my ABS laptop (Model GL 30) I’ve got an “Fn” key (which is in light blue – the other keys have white letters) at the extreme bottom/left the keyboard. It’s for increasing/decreasing the screen brightness, sound etc. by depressing it simultaneously with another key. Also there are numbers and symbols in the same color of blue on a number of keys on the keyboard such as the U, I, O, P etc.

I apparently did something to my laptop that when I’m trying to type in a document -- and I depress any of those U, I, O, P keys -- a series of letters/numbers/symbols come up instead of the key I depress – such as when I depress “U” key – instead of the “U” -- I get “H174” all at once. When I depress the “I” key – I get “285”. When I depress the “I” key – I get “`-/*”
I tried rebooting but that didn’t fix it.
Help! What do I do to get my keyboard back to normal?
Thanks,
Crockett

That's strange, I would have said maybe the Num Lock was turned on but it shouldn't be putting out those keys. Sounds like it could be a faulty keyboard. Perhaps you could try plugging in a USB keyboard and seeing if the problem persists?

Ok -- it's Monday and I sat down with my laptop prepared to do a little more sleuthing then to call ABS if necessary. I haven't turned on the laptop since Friday night/Saturday morning -- been doing my work on my desktop.

I booted and tried typing in Word and immediately got single digits instead of the string of digits. Well -- it was acting like Num Lock was on. So I turned Num Lock off and it's now working normally.

This worries me -- so, I'm going to run a full virus scan. I've got Norton Security Suite and the free version on Malware Bytes. I'll run both.

Crockett

Might be a weird setup with the Num Lock, could always try turning it back on and confirming the behaviour returns. At any rate, an infection scan never goes astray.

Glad to see you've the tracked the issue down :)

I turned Num Lock back on and it acted like it should when Num Lock is on. Turned it off and it's back to normal again.

I also did the full system scans with Norton as well as Malware Bytes and all was normal.

Crockett

Back