1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Keyboard keys suddenly stopped working

By KasefTamjid ยท 4 replies
Jul 18, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. I have this keyboard,a marvo km400. I was playing games today and suddenly noticed the M key, N key and th Fn key is not working. So thinking it was dust, I opened the keyboard and basically did nothing more than taking photos and blowing some dust of (ps. There was almost no dust on the membrane of the keyboard). So I put it back together and tried to turn it on but this time a lot of keys are not working?!! I resetted and reinstalled the HID keyboard drivers but to no avail. This keyboard is very dear to me. So BUYING ANOTHER IS NOT AN OPTION. I have attached photos of the circuit and membrane. I have basic soldering and electrical knowledge (hobbyist) so keep that in mind.

TL;DR.. Keys suddenly stopped working, more keys not working after disassembly-reassembly, How do I fix it?

Please dont tell me to buy a new one, it isnt a option right now and as I stated before, this thing is very near to me for specefic reason.

UPDATE:- I opened the keyboard again and thoroughly checked for problems, it seems like the graphite connectors were not connected properly hence more keys were not working. But I did discover that Keys (chain) connected to C16 were not working (M,N,Backspace,right arrow etc.) so I tried cleaning and better and tighter fit, I also tried to sketch it using a pencil for better connection. Still, these specefic keys are not working. Pics :-...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-bMCayz_kNs-ReTMJEOFYjMQRvb-ADls

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,878   +620

3. KasefTamjid

KasefTamjid TS Rookie Topic Starter

... Actually this doesnt seem like a bad idea. But im confused how that might help. Im pretty sure the membrane contacts below the keys are okay. And if I am to try this ( desperate measures...) do I need to water proof the whole circuit, or just the usb port which I guess is to protect from rust?

4. KasefTamjid

KasefTamjid TS Rookie Topic Starter

And yes, the link you provided does seem very much like my one

5. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,878   +620

In my case, I simply TIGHTLY wrapped duct tape around the USB plug to about an inch above it, set it on my shower floor & turned the shower on allowing the water to penetrate ALL areas. That lasted a few minutes, turned water off & stood there a few minutes for it to drip dry. Let it sit in my room for a few days hoping it would dry, plugged it into my desktop & I am using it right now. I had spilled coffee & probably crumbs of some sort on it. My kb as you saw in my link has 3 different back lit colors for my keys, those still work as does the kb. IF you don't feel comfortable doing same, don't. I won't be held responsible. Google to see if you can do such, good luck. :) Alternately you can use a dishwasher but DO NOT DRY it in there or use soap.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...