Keyboard works in BIOS but not in XP Login Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had recently installed an ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics card and ever since then the keyboard and mouse cause problems.The Keyboard will work in the BIOS screen but once XP loads up the mouse doesnt work nor does the keyboard. I am not sure if the mouse works in the BIOS since that only requires the keyboard. Not sure why the new video card would cause this problem. Also tried resetting the ESCD and used the windows XP Setup CD -R but without success. Have tried booting with different keyboard and mouse that were wired but still nothing. I have tried using the PS/2 converter but that too doesnt work, along with using a regular PS/2 keyboard and mouse but still nothing.
My Specs:
Keyboard and Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000

Stick to the PS/2 keyboard until you get that one working, Only then move to USB.

Now, you did power off the computer, plug in the PS/2, then powered on, right? PS/2 is not hot-pluggable.

What if you boot into Safe Mode?

Does the problem go away when you remove the video card?

You could try disabling some unused devices in BIOS. Turn off things like parallel and serial ports, floppy controller perhaps. Do not allocate an IRQ to VGA.

i dont think its a problem with the BIOS because i loaded up a live CD of Ubuntu and the mouse and keyboard both work fine in it, however, i will try you suggestions and report back

PS2 is the way for Desktop PC's,usb for Laptops.
I wouldn't blame ATI.I just updated to 9600 with no problems.
If it's cordless keep the transmitter away from the power supply and the
monitor.
Most important,Send a signal from the mouse and KBD buttons to the transmitters.
You also do this when you install new batteries.

Ok, tried removing everything except keyboard and mouse, and still no success, however on a Ubuntu Installation everything works fine. Therefore a sort of different question is how can i install the mouse drivers from the Microsoft CD onto the Windows OS from Linux. They are on the same hard drive

keyboard problem

I had recently installed an ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics card and ever since then the keyboard and mouse cause problems.The Keyboard will work in the BIOS screen but once XP loads up the mouse doesnt work nor does the keyboard. I am not sure if the mouse works in the BIOS since that only requires the keyboard. Not sure why the new video card would cause this problem. Also tried resetting the ESCD and used the windows XP Setup CD -R but without success. Have tried booting with different keyboard and mouse that were wired but still nothing. I have tried using the PS/2 converter but that too doesnt work, along with using a regular PS/2 keyboard and mouse but still nothing.
My Specs:
Keyboard and Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000

hello
i am also geting same problem that not geting keyboard at logon screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back