Keyssa aims to do away with I/O ports, has the backing to make it a reality

Shawn Knight

Staff member

hidden wireless connectors ports obsolete ces tony fadell ces 2015 kiss wireless transfer ports io ports keyssa kiss connectivity

Odds are that you’ve probably never heard of Keyssa, a US-based startup that’s one of thousands of companies on display at CES this week. They first surfaced late last year with the promise of speeding up data transfers between storage devices while simultaneously doing away with wires and I/O ports. Sounds appealing, right?

Keyssa is showing off its technology at CES this week and by all accounts, it’s incredibly impressive. The company uses a connector about the size of a coffee bean that can be integrated into any number of devices. The connector uses an extremely high-frequency, short range radio band to transfer data between smartphones, tablets, notebooks and more with virtually zero battery drain.

And it’s really fast with a transfer rate of up to six gigabits per second.

The idea is to eliminate those unsightly connectors on our devices. Just imagine how much nicer your high-end smartphone would look if the perimeter wasn’t littered with I/O ports.

It certainly seems like a great idea and apparently I’m not the only one that feels that way. After five years of developing the technology in the shadows, the company has raised $47 million in funding from investors like Dolby Family Ventures, Intel and Samsung.

What’s more, Nest founder and designer of the original iPod, Tony Fadell, serves as the company’s chairman. The executive said he expects it to spark an immediate wave of industrial design innovation.

Permalink to story.

Seem nice but nowhere on the web site do they mention the maximum distance, from what you can see it is VERY short distance so is it nice for transfert between 2 devices that are very close but forget about transfer from your phone to your watch or to you google glass.

Seem nice but nowhere on the web site do they mention the maximum distance, from what you can see it is VERY short distance so is it nice for transfert between 2 devices that are very close but forget about transfer from your phone to your watch or to you google glass.

The distance might be small but like anything it will increase over time. It's just great to finally see this technology come to fruition.

Looks like NFC, except that's measured in kb/s.
This is a big jump.

I'm thinking of a keyssa connector on the top of your PC. And another one on the bottom of a portable drive. Then just place the drive on your PC and start transferring data. Or leave your phone on the drive to have access to all your stored files.

When it comes to increasing the distance I'm not sure I'd want to have that massive burst of radio power going through my body to get from a phone in my pocket to a wrist watch.

Downloading your smartphone/cameras files to your PC, making external storage wirelless, HD docks that dont need data cords... 6 gigabits/s it's as fast as SATA nowadays, I would LOVE to access my external devices at that speed instead of USB's.

Back