Kinect sells 2.5 million units in 25 days, twice as fast as the iPad

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has announced that it has sold 2.5 million units of its Kinect motion controller in the last 25 days. The Xbox 360 accessory is now available at more than 60,000 retailers in 38 countries.

Two weeks ago, the software giant was celebrating that it had sold 1 million units of the Kinect in 10 days. Doing some basic math, it appears that overall momentum has not yet slowed (100,000 Kinects sold each day). The company said that strong demand from the Black Friday weekend were what made the difference.

It's important to remember that the 2.5 million number isn't the amount of units shipped, nor is it the amount of units sold to retailers. Instead, it's the number of Kinects that have actually been sold to consumers. The Kinect's early success is good news for those who bought the hardware early: it means developers will be more willing to work on more and more intuitive games.

"We are thrilled about the consumer response to Kinect, and are working hard with our retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments of Kinect to restock shelves as fast as possible to keep up with demand," Don Mattrick, president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said in a statement. "With sales already exceeding two and a half million units in just 25 days, we are on pace to reach our forecast of 5 million units sold to consumers this holiday."

Last month, financial analysts at Bernstein Research called Apple's iPad the most quickly adopted non-phone electronic device ever. Its adoption rate was faster than the DVD player. More specifically, Apple's latest and greatest sold 2 million units in two months.

It appears that the Kinect has made sure that the iPad didn't keep its crown for long. With 2.5 million units sold in under a month, it's already winning, and the 2010 holiday season isn't even here yet. Of course, Microsoft predicted this would happen two months ago: "The preorders have been really strong. As far as what we're looking at for holiday, this is going to be stuff that'll blow away any of the sales you've seen with iPad. The Xbox 360 is already selling better than the Wii and Sony right now. Kinect's really just going to boost that to a whole new level."

Permalink to story.

A friend of mine bought this and it's a lot of fun. He brought it to a party last Friday. Everybody had a blast playing it. The $150 isn't much of a setback either when you consider the ridiculous number of bonus attachments you need for the Wii.

umm comparing it to the iPad in sales isn't very fair at all. u do realize that the iPad is like 3 times more expensive than the kinect right?? it has been selling very well for its price. the kinect is just an overpriced camera that will get old/replaced pretty quick.

"The Xbox 360 is already selling better than the Wii"
haha dream on microsoft, your not even in the same ballpark

Guest said:
"The Xbox 360 is already selling better than the Wii"
haha dream on microsoft, your not even in the same ballpark

I think you need to google the actual statistics ;)

They're not that fair away at all.

U know they mean that the xbox360 sales per day/week is higher than the Wii, not how many they sold overall Wii still holds that, but it does mean xbox is catching up

Guest said:
U know they mean that the xbox360 sales per day/week is higher than the Wii, not how many they sold overall Wii still holds that, but it does mean xbox is catching up

You are very true, just did a check.

http://www.vgchartz.com/#Worldwide Totals

Indeed Microsoft does have some way to go. I cannot believe the Wii has sold soo much!
its rubbish whenever I've used one?

Crazy!

I'm still convinced these things will be collecting dust by next summer. Once that whole jumping up and down, waving the arms novelty wears off......

Treetops said:
I wonder how many ps3 things sold

You mean the PSmove, I´ve never seen any headline talkingabout it, indee never heard of it after the release date, SONY does not make any hype about anythig, same happen to the EYEtoy thing.

TomSEA said:
I'm still convinced these things will be collecting dust by next summer. Once that whole jumping up and down, waving the arms novelty wears off......
And how does this matter at all in regards to the rate in which initial adoption is occurring? You could try to argue novelty, but that is true for every peripheral that seems to come out (and the Wii system in general), so it's not a very good argument.

darn i actually am interested in the kinect. i've been a PC guy for many years, but this console attachment got me.

Guest said:
umm comparing it to the iPad in sales isn't very fair at all. u do realize that the iPad is like 3 times more expensive than the kinect right?? it has been selling very well for its price. the kinect is just an overpriced camera that will get old/replaced pretty quick.
The iPad is just an overpriced iPod Touch that will get old/replaced pretty quickly.

madboyv1 said:
TomSEA said:
And how does this matter at all in regards to the rate in which initial adoption is occurring? You could try to argue novelty, but that is true for every peripheral that seems to come out (and the Wii system in general), so it's not a very good argument.

That's because his statement is not addressing the initial adoption of the peripheral....

Is it is clear from these figures that people do want the shiniest, "coolest," and latest technology, regardless of its numerous cons. Kinect is the perfect example. The peripheral's initial sales will most likely not increase because, as I said, many of the Kinect's cons (such as lack of precision, lack of game genres, repetitiveness, etc.) will greatly and progressively decrease the sale and overall interest of consumer in the long run, giving other peripherals such as the Move, the advantage.

Guest said:
The iPad is just an overpriced iPod Touch that will get old/replaced pretty quickly.

Another crapolla article from Microsoft botzine TECHSPOT. Comparing a 149$ game controller to a $700 tablet computer. What a bunch of nonsense. Sheesh. That slowly dying dinosaur Microsoft must really be desperate for attention.

Guest said:
Another crapolla article from Microsoft botzine TECHSPOT. Comparing a 149$ game controller to a $700 tablet computer. What a bunch of nonsense. Sheesh. That slowly dying dinosaur Microsoft must really be desperate for attention.
No, that would be Microsoft doing the comparison, not Techspot (they are simply repeating or rephrasing what they are saying). And between Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 kinect is more of a side project and most of their attention is actually being generated by the respective operating systems. Go back to sucking the teet of Linus or Jobs. :)

Also, I was pretty sure that the iPad was an oversized iPod Touch, I must have missed the memo when everyone considered it as a tablet computer. ;)

How is the Kinect in any way possible, related to the iPad for comparrison?????? Why not compare it to the Sony's MOVE...I mean really.

Guest said:
How is the Kinect in any way possible, related to the iPad for comparrison?????? Why not compare it to the Sony's MOVE...I mean really.

^This, to be honest.

The wii stinks you need to buy multiple attachments and/or controllers to play 1 stupid game thats 60 dollars kinect when it came out wasnt over priced at all! it was a snag if u bought it early wii ont the other hand costed almost double that AND the technology for kinect is ridiculous theyve made about 15 games in 1 month...ANYONE READING THIS BUY KINECT!!!!!

Back